Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Easy Slow Cooker Sweet & Sour BBQ Meatballs
As soon as I saw this recipe for Sweet and Sour BBQ Meatballs I knew I wanted to try it and had a feeling it would be a winner.
I was right. The combination of BBQ sauce and sweet bell peppers and pineapple is delicious.
Using frozen meatballs makes this super easy. Of course, if you prefer, substitute your own from scratch meatballs.
Skinny on Easy Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour BBQ Meatballs
As a successful lifetime Weight Watcher, one of my tricks is to add extra zero points fruits and vegetables to recipes wherever and whenever I can. This easy slow cooker sweet and sour BBQ meatballs is no exception.
In addition to the sweet onion, bell pepper and pineapple called for, I tossed in chunks of carrots and celery. Broccoli, cauliflower, red bell pepper and pea pods would also work well.
I also added my favorite slow cooker thickener, instant tapioca (Kraft Minute Tapioca), which is granulated and sold on my grocery store shelves near the pudding/jello. I think tapioca starch/flour would also work, though I’ve never tried it.
Of course, you could thicken by stirring in a cornstarch/water slurry at the end. Or skip thickening altogether. Whatever works best for you.
This makes a big batch.
Divide all the ingredients in half for a smaller batch, or freeze the leftovers (in single-serving portions) for quick-and-easy future lunches and suppers.
According to my calculations each generous serving has *12 SmartPoints.
If you like this easy slow cooker recipe for sweet and sour bbq meatballs, be sure to check out some of my other Weight Watchers friendly slow cooker recipes including Crock Pot Italian Meatball Soup, 4-Ingredient Slow Cooker Porcupine Meatballs, Easy Slow Cooker Hawaiian Meatballs, Slow Cooker Mexican Meatball Soup and Slow Cooker Meatballs and Marinara Sauce.
Easy Slow Cooker Sweet & Sour BBQ Meatballs Recipe
- 32 ounces meatballs (I used frozen turkey, substitute homemade if you prefer)
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 stalks celery, cut into chunks
- 1 sweet onion, cut into chunks
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks packed in juice, drained
- 1 bottle (18 ounces) favorite BBQ sauce
- 2 tablespoons instant tapioca (optional, for thickening)
- Ideal slow cooker Size: 4 to 6-Quart.
- Combine all the ingredients in your slow cooker and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours, or until the vegetables are done to your liking.
Source: adapted from New Leaf Wellness
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
You might also like:
- 5-Ingredient Crock Pot Hawaiian Meatballs
- 4-Ingredient Skinny Slow Cooker Porcupine Meatballs
- Easy Slow Cooker French Onion Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Cranberry Meatballs
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!