Weight Watchers Crock Pot Recipe: Slow Cooker Italian Meatball Soup
(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day 174 – Crock Pot Italian Meatball Soup)
I think one of keys to making Weight Watchers work for the long haul is finding recipes that will please the entire family.
This crockpot Italian Meatball soup is a great example. It doesn’t taste like “diet” food. Because it’s not. It’s just a really hearty, flavorful soup that makes a great one dish meal.
For a simple satisfying supper, sprinkle each bowl with a little grated Parmesan and serve with warm crusty bread. YUM! (If you feel like you need something more, you could always add a green salad.)
Can't Decide What To Cook After A Long Day?
Weekly Meal Plans + Shopping Lists = Healthier, Happier You!
Healthy Meal Planning Made Easy allows you to create custom healthy meal plans with WW SmartPoints that fit your family size, schedule, and most importantly taste delicious.
The Skinny on CrockPot Italian Meatball Soup
To make this slow cooker Italian meatball soup lighter, healthier and more Weight Watchers friendly, I:
- Substituted Kroger reduced-fat turkey meatballs for beef meatballs.
- Added 1-1/2 cups of sliced mushrooms to increase the soup’s bulk and make it more filling. (Chopped spinach or kale would be good too.)
- I also added salt, pepper and Italian seasoning for more flavor.
The recipe says to add the frozen mixed vegetables in during the last hour of cooking, which will prevent them from getting too mushy.
But if you prefer them really soft add them in the beginning with everything else.
Each serving of this yummy soup has 250 calories and *6 Weight Watchers Points Plus, 5 SmartPoints.
(eCourse + eBook)
(eCourse + eBook)
- 1 pound frozen low fat turkey meatballs
- 4 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 cans (14 to 15 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups sliced mushrooms (5 ounces)
- 1 cup peeled chopped potato
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- Freshly grated Parmesan Cheese for serving (optional)
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 4 to 6-Quart
- In a slow cooker stir together the meatballs, broth, tomatoes, mushrooms, potato, onion, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, until the vegetables are tender.
- Turn the slow cooker to HIGH and add the frozen mixed vegetables. Cover and cook for one additional hour or until the vegetables are tender.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan Cheese if desired.
Bulk up this yummy crockpot Italian meatball soup even further by adding more vegetables. I think chopped spinach or kale would be good. And if you prefer your vegetables well done stir them in at the beginning with everything else.
Source: adapted from Gooseberry Patch Slow-Cooker Recipes Cookbook
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this Crock-Pot Italian Meatball Soup, you might also like:
- Slow Cooker Mexican Meatball Soup
- Easy Slow Cooker Italian Wedding Soup
- Weight Watchers Italian Beef and Lentil Slow Cooker Soup
- Best Recipes of 2016 with Weight Watchers SmartPoints
Today’s Food for Thought…
“Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing.”
~ Abraham Lincoln
Do you have a favorite quote? I’d love for you to leave it for me in the comments!!
I used the 4-quart Hamilton Beach Stay-or-Go Slow Cooker to make this crockpot Italian meatball soup:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Originally published March 2014, Updated November 2016
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.