WW Recipe of the Day: Mom's Hearty Lentil Sausage Stew
I've got another soup recipe today.
This one is a simple hearty lentil sausage stew my mom made and shared with us with a while back.
She loves to make and eat homemade soup as much as I do. Maybe that's where I get it from?
Brimming with lentils, sausage and vegetables, it's packed with flavor.
It's easy to make and economical too.
Thick, warm and satisfying, this lentil stew with sausage makes a great cold weather meal when served with warm crusty bread and salad.
How Many Calories and WW Points in Mom's Hearty Stove Top Lentil Sausage Stew?
According to my calculations, each satisfying serving has 306 calories and
7 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
7 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
If you like this simple lentil stew with Italian sausage, be sure to check out my other easy, healthy Weight Watchers friendly soup recipes including Slow Cooker Italian Pork & White Bean Stew, WW Healthy Hamburger Stew, Tomato Beef & Macaroni Soup, Chicken Brunswick Stew and Slow Cooker Hunter Chicken Stew
If you've made this Stove Top Lentil Stew, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Mom's Simple Hearty Lentil Sausage Stew Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound Italian-style turkey sausage, crumbled
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups dry lentils
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14-15 ounces) low-sodium tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large high-sided skillet or saucepan set over medium heat, warm the oil until glistening.
- Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring often, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in the sausage and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up the sausage, until it is no longer pink, about 8 minutes more.
- Stir in the lentils, broth, tomatoes with their juices, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, thyme, and black pepper. Heat to boiling then reduce the heat to LOW, cover and simmer, 40 minutes, or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- If the mixture gets too dry, add more broth to achieve desired consistency.
- Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Weight Watchers Friendly Soup + Stew Recipes
- Lentil & Sweet Potato Stew (EatYourselfSkinny)
- Lentil & Vegetable Stew (SlenderKitchen)
- Instant Pot Chicken & Lentil Soup (SkinnyTaste)
- Crock-Pot Pumpkin Lentil Stew (LaaLoosh)
- Slow Cooker Moroccan Lentil Stew (SlenderKitchen)
- Italian Split Pea Stew with Cauliflower (Cookin'Canuck)
In this video, April McKinney demonstrates how easy it is to make crock pot sausage and lentil stew at home (this recipe is based on sausage and lentil soup from Carrabba's Italian Grill):
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!