Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Mom’s Hearty Lentil Sausage Stew – 7 SmartPoints
I’ve got another soup recipe today. This one is a simple hearty lentil sausage stew my mom made and shared with us with a while back. She loves to make and eat homemade soup as much as I do. Maybe that’s where I get it from?
Brimming with lentils, sausage and vegetables, it’s packed with flavor. Easy to make and economical too.
Skinny on Mom’s Simple Hearty Lentil Sausage Stew
Thick, warm and satisfying, Mom’s Simple Hearty Lentil Sausage Stew makes a great cold weather meal when served with warm crusty bread and salad.
According to my calculations each satisfying serving has 306 calories and *7 Weight Watchers Points Plus, 7 SmartPoints.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound Italian style turkey sausage, crumbled
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups dry lentils
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14 to 15 ounces) low sodium tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large high-sided skillet set over medium heat, warm the oil until glistening.
- Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring often, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in the sausage and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up the sausage, until it is no longer pink, about 8 minutes more.
- Stir in the lentils, broth, tomatoes with their juices, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, thyme, and black pepper. Heat to boiling then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer, 40 minutes, or until tender, stirring occasionally. If the mixture gets too dry, add more broth to achieve desired consistency.
- Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® for Mom’s Simple Hearty Lentil Sausage Stew calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Links to More Lentil Sausage Recipes:
Roberta hit rock bottom at 48 years old. She weighed 171 lbs. at 5'1". She suffered from back pain, thyroid problems and adrenal issues. Yet as you can see it’s all behind her now. And she feels and looks like a woman half her age!... Following Eat Stop Eat gave Roberta the freedom she needed. It allowed her body to naturally find its own weight loss rhythm. And the results are stunning!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.