Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Mom’s Hearty Lentil Sausage Stew – 7 SmartPoints
I’ve got another soup recipe today. This one is a simple hearty lentil sausage stew my mom made and shared with us with a while back.
She loves to make and eat homemade soup as much as I do. Maybe that’s where I get it from?
Brimming with lentils, sausage and vegetables, it’s packed with flavor.
It’s easy to make and economical too.
(eCourse + eBook)
(eCourse + eBook)
Skinny on Mom’s Simple Hearty Lentil Sausage Stew
Thick, warm and satisfying, Mom’s Simple Hearty Lentil Sausage Stew makes a great cold weather meal when served with warm crusty bread and salad.
According to my calculations each satisfying serving has 306 calories and 7* Weight Watchers Points Plus, 7* WW SmartPoints.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound Italian style turkey sausage, crumbled
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups dry lentils
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14 to 15 ounces) low sodium tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large high-sided skillet set over medium heat, warm the oil until glistening.
- Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring often, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in the sausage and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up the sausage, until it is no longer pink, about 8 minutes more.
- Stir in the lentils, broth, tomatoes with their juices, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, thyme, and black pepper. Heat to boiling then reduce the heat to LOW, cover and simmer, 40 minutes, or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- If the mixture gets too dry, add more broth to achieve desired consistency.
- Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
Can't Decide What To Cook After A Long Day?
Weekly Meal Plans + Shopping Lists = Healthier, Happier You!
Healthy Meal Planning Made Easy allows you to create custom healthy meal plans with WW SmartPoints that fit your family size, schedule, and most importantly taste delicious.
Links to More Lentil Sausage Recipes:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.