Weight Watchers Recipes of the Day: Healthy Hamburger Stew
I made this simple healthy slow cooker hamburger stew for the first time last December.
Everyone really liked it.
Hearty and satisfying, it’s the perfect antidote to weeks of overindulging with too many sweet treats.
If your body is begging you to bring it back into balance, plan on cooking up a pot as soon as you can!
While I didn’t do nearly as much Christmas cookie baking this year as last, I still managed to to get myself in trouble with two deliciously decadent Ina Garten recipes: French Chocolate Bark and English Chocolate Crisps.
They were totally worth the splurge, but now I’m feeling ready to get back on track with some sensible slow cooking.
I don’t know about you, but I’ve been eating out and indulging in WAY more sweet treats than normal.
And our celebrations won’t officially wrap up until we ring in the New Year.
‘Tis the time of year when my body begins craving a dose of simple, hearty, home cooking, like this slow cooker hamburger stew, a hodgepodge of vegetables and ground beef simmered for hours in the crock pot.
It’s the perfect antidote to weeks of overindulging.
Skinny on Healthy Slow Cooker Hamburger Stew
Homemade soup is SO MUCH BETTER than anything you can get in a can. It’s worth the little bit of extra work required and is really pretty easy when you use your Crock-Pot.
The potatoes will take the longest to soften in this recipe, so be sure to chop them into small pieces if time is an issue.
I kept the seasoning in this slow cooker hamburger stew pretty simple, using just Montreal Steak Seasoning, one of my favorites.
If you like your soups spicier, you may want to add more herbs and spices.
To make this hamburger stew vegetarian, substitute 1 pound soy crumbles or 1-1/2 cups lentils for the ground beef and vegetable broth for the beef broth.
One of the great things about home cooking is the freedom to customize to your specific tastes!
- Give it an Italian flair by adding garlic, basil and oregano.
- Take it in a Mexican direction with chile powder and cumin or a package of taco seasoning.
- Give it an Indian flavor by adding curry powder
- Bump up the beefy flavor with a splash of Worcestershire and a squeeze of anchovy paste.
- For even more heat, add your favorite hot sauce and/or chopped picked jalapeños when you serve it.
According to my calculations, each serving has 178 calories, *4 PointsPlus and *2 Freestyle SmartPoints.
Watch how to make your own Crock Pot Ground Beef Casserole at home:
If you like this slow cooker recipe for hamburger stew, be sure to check out my other easy, healthy Weight Watchers friendly Crock-Pot recipes including Italian Pork & White Beans Stew, Slow Cooker Sausage & Vegetables, Crock-Pot Tomato Beef Macaroni Soup, Creole White Beans & Chicken and WW Chuck Wagon Chili
Hearty and delicious, this hamburger stew is simple and satisfying and so much better than anything you can get in a can!
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef (95% lean)
- 1 onion, chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)
- Salt and pepper, or other seasoning, to taste (I used 1-1/2 teaspoons Montreal Steak Seasoning)
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped into tiny cubes (2 cups)
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 can (14 to 15 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cups beef broth (I use jarred Better Than Bouillon mixed with water)
- 2 cups water
Ideal slow cooker size: 5- to 6-Quart.
Put the ground beef and onions in a large non-stick skillet set over medium heat. Season with salt, pepper and additional seasoning if you like.
Cook, stirring and breaking up the beef into small crumbles, until the ground beef is no longer pink and the onions have softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
Drain off any excess fat. (There shouldn't be much if you used extra lean ground beef.)
Scrape the ground beef mixture into the crock pot. Add the potatoes, mixed vegetables, corn, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth and water.
Cover and cook on LOW 6 to 8 hours, or until the vegetables are all tender. The potatoes will take the longest to soften, so be sure to chop them really small if time is an issue for you.
Taste and add additional salt and pepper, if desired.
*4 Weight Watchers PointsPlus
*2 Weight Watchers SmartPoints
Source: adapted from The Crockin’ Girls Slow Cookin’ Companion
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
- Slow Cooker 3-Bean Turkey Sausage Chili
- Simple 3-Ingredient Skinny Sloppy Joes
- Chicken Vegetable Rice Soup
- Mom’s Hearty Lentil Sausage Stew
- Easy Skinny Southwestern Skillet
- Best Weight Watchers Recipes of the Year with SmartPoints
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE eBook: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
An ecookbook with our most popular recipes!
You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.