Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Skinny Slow Cooker Creole White Beans with Chicken
This easy, healthy and delicious recipe for skinny slow cooker creole white beans with chicken is adapted from this one on Budget Bytes, which the talented Beth made on her stovetop.
It looked simple and good.
Just chicken, beans, an abundance of colorful chopped vegetables and a few spices.
Skinny on Skinny Slow Cooker Creole White Beans & Chicken
I changed up this recipe a little.
First, I tossed everything into the slow cooker instead of tending to it on the stovetop.
And I made a few minor ingredient adjustments so it would work with what I had on hand.
Instead of navy beans, I used a bag of yellow-eye beans that my mom had brought me back from Maine last year. (Because they were older they took longer to soften.)
Since we are not a fan of overly spiced food, I cut back on the amount of Creole seasoning.
And I was also able to skip the oil because everything just got tossed into the slow cooker without pre-cooking in a skillet.
There’s quite a lot of chopping required for this recipe, which is not a problem if you’re like me and find chopping vegetables relaxing.
If you don’t, you may want to cut them up the night before and place them in a zip-lock bag or covered container in the refrigerator, so in the morning everything is ready to go.
If you opt to make your own, just be aware that the store bought blends contain a quite a bit of salt, so you’ll need to add salt to your beans after cooking to compensate.
This recipe makes a big batch, about 12 cups, of Creole White Beans and Chicken, plenty to share and/or freeze for individual ready-to-go meals.
You could easily make a half batch in a 4-quart slow cooker if you prefer.
According to my calculations, each serving has about 257 calories, *6 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *4 SmartPoints.
Following the Freestyle Plan, this is now *2 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
Watch this short video to learn more about Weight Watchers Freestyle:
This recipe is almost, but not quite, Simply Filling because of the chicken thighs.
Unfortunately, chicken breasts are NOT a good substitute here because they become too dry and stringy when cooked more than 4 to 6 hours in my slow cooker.
We both really enjoyed this dish a lot! I shared with Mom who liked it too.
If you like this slow cooker creole white beans & chicken, be sure to check out my other Weight Watchers friendly slow cooker recipes including: Slow Cooker Spicy Cajun Soup, Slow Cooker 5 Spice Chicken, Skinny Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup, Slow Cooker Chicken & Pinto Bean Tostadas and Crock Pot Cajun Sausage Pasta Sauce
Source: adapted from BudgetBytes
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
Watch this video to see how to make another version of Slow Cooker Creole Chicken:
This video from PinchOfYum demonstrates how to make Slow Cooker Creole Chicken & Sausage:
Skinny Slow Cooker Creole White Beans with Chicken Recipe
- 1 pound navy beans (dry)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- ½ bunch flat leaf parsley (large stems removed and roughly chopped)
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning blend
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- Black pepper
- Ideal slow cooker size: 6-Quart.
- Place the beans in a large bowl and cover with water. Soak the beans overnight (8 hours) in the refrigerator OR, place the beans in a large pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil over high heat. Boil for one minute, turn the heat off and let the beans sit, covered, for one hour. Drain the beans in a colander.
- Place the drained beans in your slow cooker. Add the garlic, onion, celery, bell pepper and half the parsley. (Save the rest for garnishing at the end.) Stir to combine.
- Nestle the chicken thighs down into the sautéed vegetables. Add the Creole seasoning, oregano, smoked paprika, some cracked black pepper, and 6 - 7 cups of water. Stir gently to distribute the spices, but not to disturb the thighs.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours, or on HIGH for 4 to 6 hours, OR until the beans are tender. (If your beans are older they make take longer.)
- Remove the chicken thighs and use two forks to shred the meat.
- Use a large wooden spoon to smash some of the beans against the side of the slow cooker to help the liquid thicken a bit. Taste the beans and adjust the salt and/or Creole seasoning if desired. Return the shredded chicken to the pot and top with fresh chopped parsley.
- Serve alone or over a bed of rice.
More Easy Healthy Weight Watchers Friendly Creole Recipes
Shrimp Creole (SkinnyTaste)
Low-Calorie Chicken Creole Soup (SkinnyKitchen)
Slow Cooker Creole Chicken & Okra Stew (SlenderKitchen)
Cajun Shrimp in Foil Packets (SkinnyTaste)
Creamy Cajun Chicken Shells (SlenderKitchen)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!