WW Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken Soup
(143 calories | *0 WW SmartPoints)
Today I’m sharing a recipe for slow cooker Southwest Chicken Soup that has Zero WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
It’s soup season and I couldn’t be happier. I love soup. Soup is tasty. Soup is filling. Soup freezes well. Soup is my secret to successful Weight Watchers weight maintenance.
This Skinny Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken Soup is adapted from a recipe in the Taste of Home Best of Comfort Food Diet Cookbook . Flavorful without being too spicy, it’s the perfect recipe to make on a busy day when you’re short on time because the slow cooker does most of the work for you.
Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken Soup Recipe Notes
We all thought this simple southwest chicken soup was delicious. If you like bolder/spicier flavors, kick it up with a pinch of cayenne and/or few dashes of hot sauce.
This is a easy and healthy soup that I will definitely make again. Enjoy as is, or garnish with a sprinkling of shredded cheese and/or chopped cilantro if you like.
This makes a big batch so you can freeze leftovers in individual portions for quick and easy future meals.
According to my calculations each serving has 143 calories, *4 Weight Watchers PointsPlus and *0 WW SmartPoints (new WW Freestyle Program). Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken Soup Recipe Variations
vegetarian – substitute black or pinto beans for the chicken and vegetable broth for the chicken broth
veggie rich – add more veggies, carrots, celery, cauliflower, zucchini, yellow squash, lima beans, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, etc.
spicy – kick up the heat with chile powder and/or cayenne
different – substitute chicken sausage, turkey, or pork for the chicken. Chicken or turkey meatballs would be good too. Just be sure to adjust your SmartPoints accordingly.
If you like this skinny southwestern chicken soup, be sure to check out my other easy, healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes including: Slow Cooker Chicken Vegetable Soup, Quick & Easy Chicken White Bean Salsa Soup, WW Chicken & Sausage Gumbo, Spicy Red Lentil Soup and Easy Slow Cooker Spicy Cajun Soup
If you’ve made this , please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Skinny Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken Soup Recipe
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- Salt and pepper (or seasoning of choice) for chicken (I used Montreal Chicken Seasoning)
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Ideal slow cooker size: 5- to 6-Quart.
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker. Sprinkle with seasoning and toss to coat.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, or until chicken and vegetables are tender.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home Best of Comfort Food Diet Cookbook
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
Here’s another healthy recipe for hearty southwest chicken soup:
More Healthy Weight Watchers Friendly Soups:
- ONe-Pot Spicy Sausage & Kale Soup (EatYourselfSkinny)
- Creamy & Spicy Mexican Chicken Soup (OrganizeYourselfSkinny)
- Crock Pot Picante Chicken & Black Bean Soup (SkinnyTaste)
- Spicy Egg Drop Soup (LaaLoosh)
- Spicy Southwest Chicken Chowder (HungryGirl)
- Sausage & Tortellini Tomato Soup (EmilyBites)
I used the following to made this Skinny Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken Soup Recipe:
Watch how Joanie makes her own Crock Pot Southwest Chicken Tortilla Soup:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!