Weight Watchers Friendly Recipe: Chicken & Sausage Gumbo
I attended a fun cooking class class Wednesday night: Mardi Gras Magic, where the menu included a yummy Louisiana favorite – chicken & andouille gumbo. I thought it would be fun to offer up a lighter, healthier alternative.
I found exactly what I was looking for – a healthy easy chicken and sausage gumbo – in Holly Clegg’s Trim & Terrific Gulf Coast Favorites!
Weight Watchers Friendly Chicken & Sausage Gumbo Recipe Notes
It turns out the secret to a healthy gumbo is a healthy roux. Using browned flour saves both time and a ton of fat and calories, while keeping all the rich nutty flavor associated with traditional gumbo.
This light and healthy chicken and sausage gumbo is diabetic friendly and perfect for Weight Watchers.
The recipe calls for okra. If you’re not a fan, leave it out.
And it doesn’t include File powder (pronounced [FEE-lay]) powder, which I learned in my cooking class, is one of the key ingredients in making gumbo and has a distinctive “root beer” flavor. File powder is made from the dried ground leaves of the sassafras tree and is used to both thicken and flavor gumbo.
You should be able to find file powder in the seasoning section of most well-stocked grocery stores. It can also be purchased online at Amazon: Zatarain’s Gumbo File.
Good thickening substitutes for File powder included okra (which is usually included in Gumbo) or Cornstarch.
According to my calculations each serving of this gumbo has 160 calories, *4 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *2 Freestyle SmartPoints.
You could easily divide the ingredients in half to make a smaller batch of gumbo or freeze the leftovers for future healthy lunches and suppers.
If you like this chicken and sausage gumbo recipe, be sure to check out some of my other easy, healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes including Slow Cooker Creole White Beans with Chicken, Slow Cooker Hamburger Stew, Skinny Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken Soup, Easy Southwestern Goulash and Slow Cooker Sausage & Vegetables.
Weight Watcher's Friendly Chicken & Sausage Gumbo Recipe
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pound reduced-fat sausage, sliced in 1/4-inch pieces (I used chicken andouille sausage)
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 8 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen cut okra or fresh cut okra (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- Preheat oven 400F degrees.
- Place flour on baking sheet and bake, stirring every 6 to 8 minutes, until dark nutty brown color. This should take about 20 minutes. Set aside.
- In large non-stick pot coated with non-stick cooking spray, cook the sausage over medium heat until crispy brown. Remove any excess grease and set aside.
- Recoat the skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Add the chicken and cook, stirring often, just until it begins to brown. Then add onion, garlic, green pepper, and celery, cooking until tender.
- Stir in browned flour until it coats the chicken and vegetables.
- Continue to stir while adding the chicken broth. Then add the okra, thyme, cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to boil, and then lower the heat and simmer 30 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Add sausage and green onions and continue to cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Serve with rice.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
You might also like this slow cooker gumbo recipe:
Watch this recipe rehab on healthy southern seafood gumbo:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!