Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Spicy Cajun Soup
(91 calories | 3 2 1 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
This easy healthy slow cooker spicy cajun soup was born from a desire to use up leftovers from the pantry, fridge and freezer – a couple of links of chicken andouille smoked sausage, a bit of holiday ham that I portioned out into 8 ounce packages for the freezer, an onion, celery and a bell pepper, beginning to wrinkle from being left too long in the vegetable bin.
It’s a flavorful tomato and broth based soup with corn, spicy chicken andouille sausage (a highly spiced smoked sausage that is blended with Cajun spices), ham and assorted veggies.
Come to think about it, this soup is similar to another favorite, this Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken Soup. (Probably because of the tomatoes, corn and peppers.)
Corn and tomatoes work well together, and thanks to frozen and canned options, they’re two ingredients I seem to always have on hand.
Skinny on Healthy Slow Cooker Cajun Soup
I used a combination of sausage and ham since I had both of them on hand, but use what makes most sense for you.
The chicken andouille sausage gives this soup quite a bit of kick. If you substitute kielbasa or some other smoked sausage, the result will be less spicy.
I think shrimp would work well too, and is a great choice if you’re a Weight Watchers member since you can enjoy a generous portions for minimal SmartPoints.
The recipe calls for cajun spice blend, which you can buy in most larger grocery stores.
I made my own using this cajun spice mix recipe as a guide.
I stirred together 1 teaspoons salt, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, 2 teaspoons paprika, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1 heaping teaspoon oregano and 1 heaping teaspoon thyme.
I used my new Instant Pot on the sauté and slow cooker settings.
I love that it allows me to cook the veggies first, without having to dirty a separate skillet.
You can, of course, skip this step, but it will take your onion longer to become tender.
According to my calculations, each 1-cup serving has just 91 calories and:
3 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
2 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
1 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
2 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Slow Cooker Spicy Cajun Soup Recipe Variations:
vegetarian: substitute vegetarian sausage and/or beans, white, kidney, or black, for the meat
different: use one meat or a combination, substitute shrimp, add more vegetables such as kale, spinach, okra, and/or zucchini
heartier: serve over a scoop of brown rice
If you like this skinny slow cooker spicy cajun soup, be sure to check out my other easy, healthy Weight Watchers friendly soup recipes including 4-Ingredient Black Bean & Corn Soup, WW Chicken & Sausage Gumbo, Spicy Red Lentil Soup, Healthy Hamburger Stew and Skinny Pepperoni Pizza Chili
If you’ve made this Spicy Cajun Soup, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Skinny Slow Cooker Spicy Cajun Soup Recipe
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 links (about 6 ounces) chicken andouille, or other spicy smoked sausage, chopped
- 8 ounces lean ham, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes (mine were fire roasted)
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 16 ounces frozen corn kernels
- Ideal slow cooker size: 5- to 6-Quart. (I used my new InstantPot)
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet set over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and bell pepper and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, another minute.
- Scrape the mixture into your slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours, until the vegetables are tender.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper as necessary.
Source: adapted from Deep South Dish
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
In this video, learn how to make up your own easy cajun jambalaya:
I Used The Following Kitchen Tools To Make This Healthy Slow Cooker Spicy Cajun Soup Recipe:
Watch April as she shows how she makes her own cajun shrimp and quinoa soup:
More Easy Healthy Weight Watchers Soup Recipes:
- One-Pot Spicy Sausage & Kale Soup (EatYourselfSkinny)
- Creamy & Spicy Mexican Chicken Soup (OrganizeYourselfSkinny)
- Crock Pot Picante Chicken & Black Bean Soup (SkinnyTaste)
- Spicy Corn & Kale Soup (SlenderKitchen)
- Spicy Southwest Chicken Chowder (HungryGirl)
- Spicy Chicken Enchilada Soup (MealPlanningMommies)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!