I have Mom to thank for this yummy Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup with Black Beans, which she adapted from this recipe.
And generously shared with us since she knows how much I love tortilla soup. Am I lucky, or what?
It think it’s fun how other members of my family are jumping on the crock pot cooking bandwagon with me – sharing ideas and recipes.
Crock Pot Tortilla Soup with Black Beans Recipe Notes
The soup was hearty and flavorful, especially with fresh cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime, which is how I like it best. And I’m counting it as a day of crock pot cooking, since I heated a serving in my little 1-1/2-Quart slow cooker to have for lunch. Thanks Mom “-)
How Many Calories/WW Points in this Crock Pot Tortilla Soup with Black Beans?
According to my calculation each 1 cup serving has 290 calories and *4 Weight Watchers freestyle SmartPoints. Enjoy!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs 1 pound
- 2 carrots cut diagonally into thin slices
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cans 14-1/2 ounces each reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 can 14-1/2 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can 10 ounces diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups tortilla chips
- 3/4 cup Mexican style shredded reduced fat cheese
- Cilantro and lime wedges for serving, if desired.
- Place chicken in a slow cooker. (preferably 4- or 5-Quart)
- Add the carrots, onion, chicken broth, black beans, tomatoes, chili powder and cumin.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours or until the chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove chicken from the slow cooker. Cool slightly. Coarsely chop the chicken and then stir it back into the soup.
- Crush the chips coarsely.
- To serve, place in bowls and top with tortilla chips and cheese.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with lime wedges, if desired
Nutrition Estimates Per Serving (1 cup soup with 2 heaping tablespoons crushed chips and 1 scant tablespoon cheese ): 290 calories, 15 g fat, 26 g carbs, 4 g fiber, 14 g protein and *4 WW Freestyle Smart Points
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you liked Mom’s Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup with Black Beans, you might also like:
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!