I have Mom to thank for this yummy Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup with Black Beans, which she adapted from this Kraft recipe.
And generously shared with us since she knows how much I love tortilla soup. Am I lucky, or what?
It think it's fun how other members of my family are jumping on the crock pot cooking bandwagon with me - sharing ideas and recipes.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Tortilla Soup?
According to my calculation each 1 cup serving has 290 calories and
5 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
4 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
4 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
7 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
To see your WW PersonalPoints for this recipe and track it in the WW app or site, Click here!
The soup was hearty and flavorful, especially with fresh cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime, which is how I like it best. And I'm counting it as a day of crock pot cooking, since I heated a serving in my little 1-½-Quart slow cooker to have for lunch. Thanks Mom!
Are You Ready To Slow Cook Yourself Slim?If you've made this Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Mom's Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup with Black Beans
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (1 pound)
- 2 carrots, cut diagonally into thin slices
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cans (14-½ ounces each) reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-½ ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups tortilla chips
- ¾ cup Mexican style shredded reduced fat cheese
- Cilantro and lime wedges (for serving, if desired)
- Ideal slow cooker size: 4- to 5-Quart.
- Place chicken in a slow cooker.
- Add the carrots, onion, chicken broth, black beans, tomatoes, chili powder and cumin.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours or until the chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove chicken from the slow cooker. Cool slightly. Coarsely chop the chicken and then stir it back into the soup.
- Crush the chips coarsely.
- To serve, place in bowls and top with tortilla chips and cheese.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with lime wedges, if desired
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you liked Mom's Chicken Tortilla Soup with Black Beans, you might also like:
- Slow Cooker Mexican Meatball Soup
- Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Posole Soup
- Slow Cooker Stuffed Pepper Soup
Martha is the founder and main content writer for Simple-Nourished-Living.
A longtime lifetime WW at goal, she is committed to balancing her love of food and desire to stay slim while savoring life and helping others do the same.
She is the author of the Smart Start 28-Day Weight Loss Challenge.
A huge fan of the slow cooker and confessed cookbook addict, when she's not experimenting in the kitchen, you're likely to find Martha on her yoga mat.
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!
Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup w/Black Beans....simply amazing. Yummy for the whole family! Thank you very much!
Glad you liked it Amme 🙂
Sounds delicious. Can't wait to try this one!
Do you cook the chicken first?
Hi Casie, No, you don't need to cook the chicken first. Hope this helps. Thanks. Martha