(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day 73 – Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup with Black Beans)
I have Mom to thank for this yummy Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup with Black Beans, which she adapted from this recipe.
And generously shared with us since she knows how much I love tortilla soup.
Am I lucky, or what?
It think it’s fun how other members of my family are jumping on the crock pot cooking bandwagon with me – sharing ideas and recipes.
For A Limited Time:
Enjoy 25% off your meal plan subscription when you subscribe today!
The soup was hearty and flavorful, especially with fresh cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime, which is how I like it best. And I’m counting it as a day of crock pot cooking, since I heated a serving in my little 1-1/2-Quart slow cooker to have for lunch 🙂
Thanks Mom “-)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (1 pound)
- 2 carrots, cut diagonally into thin slices
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups tortilla chips
- ¾ cup Mexican style shredded reduced fat cheese
- Cilantro and lime wedges, for serving, if desired.
- Place chicken in a slow cooker. (preferably 4- or 5-Quart)
- Add the carrots, onion, chicken broth, black beans, tomatoes, chili powder and cumin.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours or until the chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove chicken from the slow cooker. Cool slightly. Coarsely chop the chicken and then stir it back into the soup.
- Crush the chips coarsely.
- To serve, place in bowls and top with tortilla chips and cheese.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with lime wedges, if desired
*PointsPlus® for crock pot chicken tortilla soup with black beans calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you liked Mom’s Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup with Black Beans, you might also like:
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.