WW Recipe of the Day: Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
(290 calories | 5 4 4 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
I have Mom to thank for this yummy Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup with Black Beans, which she adapted from this Kraft recipe.
And generously shared with us since she knows how much I love tortilla soup. Am I lucky, or what?
It think it’s fun how other members of my family are jumping on the crock pot cooking bandwagon with me – sharing ideas and recipes.
How Many Calories/WW Points in this Crock Pot Tortilla Soup with Black Beans?
According to my calculation each 1 cup serving has 290 calories and
5 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
4 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
4 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
7 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
Crock Pot Tortilla Soup with Black Beans Recipe Notes
The soup was hearty and flavorful, especially with fresh cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime, which is how I like it best. And I’m counting it as a day of crock pot cooking, since I heated a serving in my little 1-1/2-Quart slow cooker to have for lunch. Thanks Mom!
Mom's Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup with Black Beans
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (1 pound)
- 2 carrots, cut diagonally into thin slices
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups tortilla chips
- 3/4 cup Mexican style shredded reduced fat cheese
- Cilantro and lime wedges (for serving, if desired)
- Ideal slow cooker size: 4- to 5-Quart.
- Place chicken in a slow cooker.
- Add the carrots, onion, chicken broth, black beans, tomatoes, chili powder and cumin.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours or until the chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove chicken from the slow cooker. Cool slightly. Coarsely chop the chicken and then stir it back into the soup.
- Crush the chips coarsely.
- To serve, place in bowls and top with tortilla chips and cheese.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with lime wedges, if desired
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you liked Mom’s Chicken Tortilla Soup with Black Beans, you might also like:
- Slow Cooker Mexican Meatball Soup
- Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Posole Soup
- Slow Cooker Stuffed Pepper Soup
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!