WW Recipe of the Day: Low Carb Slow Cooker Five Spice Chicken
(227 calories | *3 WW SmartPoints)
One of my goals this summer is to clean out my freezer and pantry as much as possible. And then refrain from stockpiling.
How I accumulate so much food is a mystery. And unnecessary. We are a family of two that enjoys eating out, as well as in. And, there’s a grocery store within walking distance.
So Saturday I pulled out a package of boneless, skinless chicken thighs from deep in the freezer that I used to make this really simple skinny slow cooker five-spice chicken.
Chinese Five Spice Powder is a spice blend available in either the spice section, or the Asian or ethnic food section, of most major supermarkets.
My bottle is a blend of China cassia cinnamon, star anise, anise seed, ginger and cloves.
Skinny on Skinny Slow Cooker Five Spice Chicken
In addition to chicken and five spice powder, the recipe calls for garlic, onion, celery, ginger, lemon zest and chicken broth.
While I loved the combination of flavors and textures, you could definitely adapt this to suit your likes and dislikes.
Next time I’m going to add sliced fennel. Carrot and bell pepper would work well too.
I served this over a rice blend from the pantry with roasted butternut squash and a simple green salad.
According to my calculations, each serving has 227 calories, *6 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *3 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
This is going in my make again file. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
If you like this lightened up slow cooker 5-spice chicken, be sure to check out some of my other easy, healthy, Weight Watchers friendly slow cooker chicken recipes including Easy Slow Cooker Goddess Chicken, Slow Cooker Creamy Italian Chicken Made Lighter, Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken, Slow Cooker Creole White Beans & Chicken and Slow Cooker Caribbean Jerk Chicken
If you’ve made this Slow Cooked Five Spice Chicken, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Skinny Slow Cooker Five Spice Chicken Recipe
- 2-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (8 thighs, about 5 ounces each)
- 1 cup chopped onion (I softened my chopped onion in the microwave for about 3 minutes before adding to the slow cooker)
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger (or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon Chinese 5-spice powder
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Ideal slow cooker size: 4-Quart.
- Trim any excess fat from the chicken thighs and place them in the slow cooker.
- Top with garlic, onions (I like to soften mine for about 3 minutes in the microwave before adding), celery, ginger, 5-spice powder, salt, and lemon zest.
- Add chicken broth.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, or until chicken is fork-tender.
- Serve over rice, cauliflower "rice" or zucchini noodles, if desired.
Source: recipe adapted from Pillsbury Doughboy Slow Cooker Recipes
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.Watch this video to learn how to make your own Five-Spice Powder at home:
Kitchen tools I used to make this easy Weight Watchers friendly slow cooker recipe:
If you like this easy crock pot 5-spice chicken recipe, you might also like:
- Five Spice Roasted Chicken Legs (SkinnyTaste)
- Asian Baked Kabocha Squash (Simple Nourished Living)
- Weight Watchers Five Spice Pork and Apple Salad (Weight Watchers)
- Slow Cooker Asian Lettuce Wraps (Simple Nourished Living)
- Slow Cooker Cuban Chicken with Citrus (Simple Nourished Living)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!