WW Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Cuban Citrus Chicken
(239 calories | *4 WW Freestyle SmartPoints)
You can never have too many slow cooker chicken recipes. At least I don’t seem to think so.
I’ve made dozens of them and have oodles more on my waiting list.
The newest one to show up for dinner was this Slow Cooker Cuban Chicken with Citrus from Quick Slow Cooking (Williams-Sonoma) .
Fresh orange and lime juice combine with garlic, onion, and bay leaf, for an easy fresh and flavorful main dish.
Oranges and limes are plentiful and cheap here in Phoenix right now, so it seemed like the perfect time to test out this yummy sounding recipe.
Skinny on Slow Cooker Cuban Chicken with Citrus
As usual, I had my way with the original recipe. I replaced the suggested whole cut-up chicken with 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs. And skipped the optional pre-browning in the name of time and laziness.
To make sure the onion is soft by the time the chicken is done be sure to slice it as thinly as you can. I find it easiest to cut the onion in half lengthwise, then peel each half, place it cut side down and slice it into very thin half-moons.
The book suggested serving this slow cooker Cuban citrus chicken with black beans, mashed sweet potatoes and sliced avocados drizzled with lime juice, which I did.
Mom, Rod and I all gave this high marks for flavor. I appreciated how effortless it was, once the onion was sliced and citrus juiced.
According to my calculations each serving has 239 calories and *6 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *4 WW Freestyle SmartPoints. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made this Crock Pot Citrus Chicken, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Slow Cooker Cuban Chicken with Citrus Recipe
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (5 ounces each)
- salt and ground black pepper
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and sliced as thinly as possible (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 8 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 3/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 bay leaf
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 4-Quart.
- Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper and then place it in the slow cooker.
- Spread the onion evenly over the chicken and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt.
- Stir together the garlic, orange juice, lime juice and bay leaf and then pour over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, until the chicken and onions are tender. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Taste the sauce and add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the chicken with some of the onions and a little sauce poured over.
Source: Quick Slow Cooking (Williams-Sonoma) by Kim Laidlaw – A keeper, I’ve already made two recipes from it!
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
What I used to Make this Skinny Slow Cooker Cuban Chicken Recipe
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!