I’ve got a slow cooker recipe to share with you today: easy Chicken & Pinto Bean Tostadas.
I know most people consider slow cookers to be for fall and winter dishes. But I LOVE my slow cooker in the summertime too. It keeps the kitchen a whole lot cooler which is important when it’s 100F+ degrees outside!
This recipe is one of those super simple “dump and heat” recipes that is perfect when you are just too busy, tired or uninspired to be bothered with anything more complicated. I like to think of it as slow cooker cooking 101.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Pinto Bean Tostadas Recipe Notes
A couple Sundays back, I tossed the ingredients for this simple satisfying dish into the slow cooker.
When Rod saw what we were having he said that he had been thinking about Mexican food lately.
It turned out to be a good choice, able to satisfy our craving for Mexican flavors without the heaviness associated with the typical Mexican restaurant meal.
We ended up eating it several times during the week. I love those cook once, eat multiple times meals, don’t you?
Sunday, we had tostadas.
I then used the leftovers to make burrito bowls (with the addition of rice) and then a couple days later as a topping for baked potatoes.
You could also stuff the chicken and pinto bean mixture inside a tortilla with cheese for a quick burrito or fold it over in a tortilla and crisp it up in a skillet for a quesadilla.
Or freeze the leftovers for future meals. Easy, healthy, delicious!
Having yummy healthy food ready and waiting in the fridge is such a blessing on busy weeknights. I can’t tell you how many times it’s saved me from grabbing takeout or heading out to dinner, pricey alternative in terms of both dollars and calories.
To keep things easy, I used taco seasoning mix. Substitute your favorite blend of herbs and spices if you prefer.
And if you don’t live where tostada shells are easy to find, use crispy taco shells instead. Just break them in half so they lay flat.
According to my calculations, each tostada has 290 calories, *7 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *5 Freestyle SmartPoints.
The chicken and bean mixture without tostada fixins’ would have about 170 calories, *4 PointsPlus, *2 Freestyle SmartPoints.
A serving is definitely on the smallish side, so if you have a big appetite you may want to bulk it up with extra vegetables.
If you like this recipe for slow cooker chicken and pinto bean tostadas, be sure to check out my other Weight Watchers friendly Mexican recipes including: Skinny Black Bean Nachos with Cheese, Easy 2-Ingredient Crock Pot Salsa Chicken, WW Stacked Chicken Enchiladas, Taco Soup and Chicken Fajitas
Skinny Slow Cooker Chicken and Pinto Bean Tostadas Recipe
- 1 package (about 20 ounces) boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup chunky-style salsa
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix (I used low sodium)
- 1 can (15 -16 ounces) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 tostada shells, heated if desired
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 cups chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 cup refrigerated guacamole
- Ideal slow cooker size: 3-1/2 to 4-Quart.
- Spray a 3-1/2 - to 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Add chicken.
- In a small bowl, mix together the salsa, water and taco seasoning until it's well blended and then pour over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on LOW until chicken is tender enough to shred, about 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and place it on a cutting board. Using 2 forks, pull the meat into shreds.
- Return the shredded chicken to the juices in the slow cooker. Stir in the beans. Increase heat setting to HIGH. Cover and cook 15-20 minutes longer, or until thoroughly heated.
- Evenly spoon chicken mixture over each tostada shell. Top with lettuce, tomato, 1 tablespoon sour cream and 1 tablespoon guacamole.
Source: This easy healthy weight watchers recipe is adapted from Betty Crocker The 300 Calorie Cookbook: 300 tasty meals for eating healthy everyday (Betty Crocker Cooking)
Cooking Notes: I used my Hamilton Beach Stay or Go 4-Quart Slow Cooker, 4-Quart. It was the perfect size for this recipe.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Yummy Weight Watchers Recipes for When You’re Craving Mexican:
Enchilada Chicken Roll-Ups (SkinnyTaste)
Taco Flatbreads (EmilyBites)
Crock-Pot Nacho Chicken Stew (SkinnyKitchen)
Slow Cooker Beef Tacos (SkinnyTaste)
Chicken Enchilada Bubble Up (DrizzleMeSkinny)
This video demonstrates how to make healthy slow cooker chipotle chicken tostadas:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!