Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Skinny Slow Cooker Chicken & Pinto Bean Tostadas
CLICK HERE FOR MORE EASY & DELICIOUS WEIGHT WATCHERS FRIENDLY SLOW COOKER RECIPES!
I’ve got a slow cooker recipe today: Slow Cooker Chicken & Pinto Bean Tostadas. I know most people consider slow cookers to be for fall and winter dishes. But I LOVE my slow cooker in the summertime too. It keeps the kitchen a whole lot cooler which is important when it’s 100+ degrees outside.
This recipe is one of those super simple “dump and heat” recipes that is perfect when you are just too busy, tired or uninspired to be bothered with anything more complicated. I like to think of it as slow cooker cooking 101.
Skinny on Slow Cooker Chicken and Pinto Bean Tostadas
A couple Sundays back I tossed the ingredients for this simple satisfying dish into the slow cooker. When Rod saw what we were having he said that he had been thinking about Mexican food lately. It turned out to be a good choice, able to satisfy our craving for Mexican flavors without the heaviness associated with the typical Mexican restaurant meal.
We ended up eating it several times during the week. I love those cook once, eat multiple times meals, don’t you? Sunday, we had tostadas. I then used the leftovers to make burrito bowls (with the addition of rice) and then a couple days later as a topping for baked potatoes.
You could also stuff the chicken and pinto bean mixture inside a tortilla with cheese for a quick burrito or fold it over in a tortilla and crisp it up in a skillet for a quesadilla. Or freeze the leftovers for future meals. Easy, healthy, delicious.
Having yummy healthy food ready and waiting in the fridge is such a blessing on busy weeknights. I can’t tell you how many times it’s saved me from grabbing takeout or heading out to dinner, pricey alternative in terms of both dollars and calories.
To keep things easy, I used taco seasoning mix. Substitute your favorite blend of herbs and spices if you prefer. And if you don’t live where tostada shells are easy to find use crispy taco shells instead. Just break them in half so they lay flat.
According to my calculations each tostada has 290 calories and *7 Weight Watchers Points Plus, 5 SmartPoints. The chicken and bean mixture without tostada fixins’ would have about 170 calories and *4 Points Plus. A serving is definitely on the smallish side, so if you have a big appetite you may want to bulk it up with extra vegetables. Enjoy!
- 1 package (20 ounces) boneless skinless chicken thighs
- ½ cup chunky-style salsa
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix (I used low sodium)
- 1 can (15 -16 ounces) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 tostada shells, heated if desired
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 cups chopped tomato
- ½ cup light sour cream
- ½ cup refrigerated guacamole
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 3-1/2 to 4-quart
- Spray a 3½ - to 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Add chicken. In a small bowl, mix together the salsa, water and taco seasoning until it's well blended and then pour over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on LOW for until chicken is tender enough to shred, about 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove chicken from cooker and place it on a cutting board. Using 2 forks, pull the meat into shreds. Return the shredded chicken to the juices in the slow cooker. Stir in the beans. Increase heat setting to HIGH. Cover and cook 15-20 minutes longer or until thoroughly heated.
- Evenly spoon chicken mixture over each tostada shell. Top with lettuce, tomato, 1 tablespoon sour cream and 1 tablespoon guacamole.
- Tip: If you don't have tostada shells, just break crispy corn taco shells in half. Place the halves on each plate, and top with the chicken and bean mixture.
Source: This easy healthy weight watchers recipe is adapted from Betty Crocker The 300 Calorie Cookbook: 300 tasty meals for eating healthy everyday (Betty Crocker Cooking)
Cooking Notes: I used my Hamilton Beach Stay or Go 4-Quart Slow Cooker, 4-Quart. It was the perfect size for this recipe.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Yummy Weight Watchers Recipes for When You’re Craving Mexican:
Quick & Easy Chicken and White Bean Salsa Soup
Skinny Cheese & Black Bean Nachos
Slim & Healthy Ground Beef Enchilada Casserole
15 Crock Pot Taco Fillings
Looking for more easy Weight Watchers Slow Cooker Inspiration?
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.