Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Easy Healthy Chicken Fajitas
Looking for a low cal or low carb option for fajitas? We’ve got you covered! These lighter healthier fajitas are a perfect way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, which is only a few days away!
Fajitas are AWESOME, easy to make, and can definitely be made light and healthy.
Marinated boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sautéed with red and green bell peppers and onions, served with a variety of accompaniments.
I love fajitas so I’m not sure why I don’t make them at home more often. This recipe proves just how easy healthy and delicious homemade fajitas can be.
While the recipe for Weight Watchers Steak Fajitas I made a while back is really good, this recipe is even quicker and easier and calls for boneless, skinless chicken breasts, so it’s lighter too.
Roberta hit rock bottom at 48 years old. She weighed 171 lbs. at 5'1". She suffered from back pain, thyroid problems and adrenal issues. Yet as you can see it’s all behind her now. And she feels and looks like a woman half her age!... Following Eat Stop Eat gave Roberta the freedom she needed. It allowed her body to naturally find its own weight loss rhythm. And the results are stunning!
Skinny on Easy Healthy Chicken Fajitas
I found the recipe in Eating for Life, a cookbook I borrowed from the library last week. Wanting plenty of leftovers to use in tortillas, on salads or in burrito bowls for quick and easy lunches and dinners this week, I doubled the recipe.
According to my calculations, each serving has 216 calories, 4* Weight Watchers PointsPlus and 2* WW SmartPoints.
This works with Simply Filling too, provided you eat them without tortillas or with reduced-fat corn tortillas or lettuce wrap “shells” which will cost you 0 SmartPoints/PointsPlus.
And there are many great low calorie and low carb options for tortillas these days too, which will help keep the points low. Enjoy!
Healthy Chicken Fajitas Recipe Variations
Different meats – lean steak, pork, or shrimp would all be yummy
Vegetarian – skip the meat and use more vegetables (mushrooms, zucchini, corn, etc)
More veg – sliced zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms, and corn would all be good
Spicy – add sliced or chopped jalapeño peppers
Different seasonings – chili powder, cumin, garlic powder or packaged taco or fajita seasonings are the most obvious choices
Optional Chicken Fajita Garnishes:
- Small flour or corn tortillas
- Shredded cheddar or jack cheese
- Salsa or Pico de Gallo
- Diced tomatoes
- Shredded Lettuce
- Guacamole or chopped mashed avocado
- Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- Chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges
Fajitas Salads – toss your fajitas with chopped romaine lettuce, slices of avocado, and sliced grape tomatoes to turn your fajitas into a light, healthy and delicious fajitas salad like this one that came across my Facebook feed recently (Just decrease the oil to keep things SmartPoints friendly….
Fajitas Bowls – Top rice (or cauliflower rice) and/or black beans with your fajitas mixture and your choice of optional additional garnishes to make light and healthy “chicken fajita bowls”
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced into ½-inch strips
- ¼ cup fat-free Italian dressing
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (or more to taste)
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- In a large zipper-lock plastic bag, combine the sliced chicken, Italian dressing and chili powder. Squeeze out the air and seal the bag, turning and squeezing to coat the chicken. Refrigerate to marinate at least 30 minutes. (Marinate longer, perhaps overnight, to enhance flavor even more.
- Lightly coat a large skillet nonstick spray and place over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and marinade and cook, stirring frequently, until the chicken is no longer pink in the center, 8 - 10 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a large bowl and cover it to keep warm.
- Lightly coat the same skillet with more cooking spray. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the green and red peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 7 minutes longer.
- Add the cooked chicken back into the skill and stir to combine and heat through, about 2 more minutes.
- Serve with tortillas, beans, or rice and your favorite garnishes such as salsa, shredded cheese, lime wedges and/or guacamole.
Source: Eating for Life: Your Guide to Great Health, Fat Loss and Increased Energy! by Bill Phillips (May 15 2006)
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
Fun Fajita Food Facts:
A fajita is a term found in Southwest/Tex-Mex cooking which refers to any grilled meat served in a taco or on a flour or corn tortilla.
Popular variations of fajitas today include beef, chicken, pork, shrimp and even vegetarian.
“I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.” – Edward Everett Hale
More Healthy Fajitas Recipes from My Favorite Weight Watchers Recipe Sites:
- Weight Watchers Steak Fajitas
- Easy Healthy Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
- Baked Chicken Fajitas (Slender Kitchen)
- Shrimp Fajitas (SkinnyTaste)
- Fajita Stuffed Chicken (Hungry Girl)
- One-Pot Chicken Fajita Pasta (SkinnyTaste)
- Crock Pot Lime Chicken Fajitas (Dashing Dish)
- Slow Cooker Beef Fajitas (Organize Yourself Skinny)
- Healthy Chicken Fajita Omelette (Hungry Girl)
- Healthy Fajita Chicken Bowl (Hungry Girl)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.