Looking for a lighter healthier alternative to your favorite calorie-laden restaurant fajitas? We’ve got a delicious alternative for you!
I love fajitas. Chicken fajitas. Vegetable fajitas. Shrimp fajitas. Steak fajitas.
They are all equally delicious in my book. And easy.
Just marinate, grill and slice your meat. Toss with your favorite combination of grilled vegetables.
And serve with tortillas and garnishes of your choice. Salsa, lime wedges and guacamole are my favorites.
While skirt steak is the traditional cut of beef to use when making steak fajitas, flank steak and top sirloin work well too. I think the marinade would work equally well on chicken or shrimp.
Skinny on Weight Watchers Steak Fajitas
I adapted this recipe for Weight Watchers steak fajitas from one I found on the Weight Watchers website, adding a little light beer and ground cumin to the marinade.
To make these more Weight Watchers friendly, cook more vegetables along with the onions and peppers. Tomatoes, corn, mushrooms and zucchini would all be delicious.
You can cook the steak and vegetables on the grill, in a grill pan or in a cast iron skillet. Whatever works best for you.
According to my calculations, each serving has about 223 calories, *5 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *5 SmartPoints.
Weight Watchers Steak Fajitas Recipe
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup light beer
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound lean flank steak, trimmed of all visible fat
- 2 large sweet red bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- Combine the lime juice, beer, oil, garlic, jalapeno, cumin and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt in a plastic ziplock plastic bag. Add the beef. Squeeze out the air and seal the bag, turning and squeezing to coat the beef. Refrigerate, turning the bag occasionally, at least 2 hours or up to 4 hours.
- Spray a grill rack with nonstick spray and preheat the grill. (If you prefer you could cook your fajitas in a grill pan or skillet. It's your call.)
- Put the red and green bell peppers and onion in a bowl. Lightly spray the vegetables with nonstick spray and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; toss to coat. Grill the vegetables over medium heat, turning frequently, until tender, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and keep warm.
- Remove the flank steak from the plastic bag and discard the marinade. Place the steak on the grill rack and grill, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of the steak, registers 145°F for medium-rare, about 6 to 10 minutes per side. Transfer the meat to a plate and let rest for about 5 minutes.
- Thinly slice the flank steak on the diagonal. Toss it with the vegetables.
- Serve with your favorite garnishes.
Source: Weight Watchers
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
- Corn or flour tortillas
- Shredded cheddar or jack cheese
- Salsa or pico de gallo
- Diced tomatoes
- Chopped cilantro
Fun Food Fact: A fajita is a term found in Southwest/Tex-Mex cooking which refers to any grilled meat served in a taco or on a flour or corn tortilla. Popular variations of fajitas today include beef, chicken, pork, shrimp and even vegetarian. Popular condiments for serving include shredded lettuce, sour cream, guacamole, salsa, pico de gallo, cheese, and tomato.
More Healthy Fajitas Recipes from My Favorite Weight Watchers Recipe Sites:
- Weight Watchers Steak Fajitas
- Easy Healthy Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
- Skinny Taco Salad for One
- Baked Chicken Fajitas (Slender Kitchen)
- Shrimp Fajitas (SkinnyTaste)
- Fajita Stuffed Chicken (Hungry Girl)
- One-Pot Chicken Fajita Pasta (SkinnyTaste)
- Crock Pot Lime Chicken Fajitas (Dashing Dish)
- Slow Cooker Beef Fajitas (Organize Yourself Skinny)
- Healthy Chicken Fajita Omelette (Hungry Girl)
- Healthy Fajita Chicken Bowl (Hungry Girl)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!