Weight Watcher Recipe of the Day: Zero Points Pico de Gallo
(25 calories | *0 WW SmartPoints)
Are you looking for an easy, healthy and fresh tomato salsa recipe?
I've got you covered with a simple and fresh tomato pico de gallo recipe you can use all kinds of ways.
How Many Freestyle SmartPoints in this Weight Watchers Pico de Gallo/Fresh Tomato Salsa?
Made exclusively from WW Zero Points Foods, each serving of this salsa has Zero Freestyle SmartPoints.
Is Salsa Healthy?
Yes. It's naturally low fat, low in calories and full of good for you vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients - since it's made from tomatoes, chile peppers, onions, cilantro and fresh lime juice. Heck, you know it's healthy when you can even find a simple recipe for salsa on a website like MedicineNet.com.
It's better for you and much lower in sugar than ketchup - making it my condiment of choice - especially when I'm focusing on eating well and staying slim.
Favorite Weight Watchers Friendly Ways to Use Salsa
When I'm trying to lose weight I can always count on a dish of green beans topped with this easy healthy fresh tomato salsa to get me through a hunger crisis when I needed an easy healthy zero points snack that will satisfy me.
Here are more of my favorite ways to use salsa:
- Cottage Cheese Baked Potato with Salsa
- Stirred together with Non Fat Greek Yogurt for a Quick & Easy Fat Free Dip or Salad Dressing
- Stirred together with Beans and Heated for a Satisfying Dip
- Atop Pasta as A Zesty Alternative to Spaghetti Sauce
- Added to Meatloaf
- Mixed with Avocado for Quick and Easy Guacamole
6 Favorite WW Friendly Recipes with Salsa
- 2-Ingredient Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
- 3-Ingredient Crock Pot Salsa Verde Beef
- Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken
- Ground Beef Enchilada Casserole
- WW Turkey Pinto Bean Burritos
Easy Chicken, White Bean & Salsa Soup
Why Make Homemade Salsa / Pico de Gall from Scratch?
It's pretty easy to find decent salsa at the grocery store and doctor it up a bit, which is what I do most of the year - when fresh tomatoes tend to be expensive and tasteless. The only downside to jarred salsas is that they can be high in sodium.
But during the summer when fresh tomatoes are tasty and plentiful - it's definitely worth it to make some easy healthy fresh tomato salsa at home - at least once in a while.
The nice thing about salsa is that you don't have to be exact. You can be creative and use what you have available.
You might want to try adding black beans, roasted corn, chopped bell peppers, chopped avocado or fresh fruit like mango.
Did you know that salsa is simply the Mexican word for sauce?
Most Mexican salsas consist of just a few simple ingredients - tomatoes, onion, chiles, cilantro, and lime - for example, that can be put together in a matter of minutes. Grinding ingredients together in a rough bowl-shaped mortar called a molcajete is the traditional method for making many salsas.
If you don't have a molcajete handy, you can use your blender (affiliate link) or food processor (affiliate link). Or simply chop everything finely and stir it all together like Dani Spies does in this illustrative Clean & Delicious video...
How To Make Homemade Pico De Gallo Salsa With Fresh Tomatoes
If you liked this simple fresh tomato salsa (pico de gallo recipe) be sure to check out more of my favorite WW friendly recipes with salsa: Diana Kennedy's Fresh Salsa Mexicana from Jerez, Cottage Cheese Baked Potato with Salsa, 3-Ingredient Crock Pot Salsa Verde Beef, Crock Pot Apricot Salsa Salmon, 2-Ingredient Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken, Indian Spiced Tilapia with Watermelon Salsa, Simple Mango Salsa, Strawberry Salsa, Corn & Tomato Salsa, WW Corn & Black Bean Salsa and Quick & Easy Chicken, White Bean & Salsa Soup
Easy Healthy Fresh Tomato Salsa Recipe - Weight Watcher's Pico de Gallo
- 4 - 6 ripe plum tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup chopped onion, red or white
- 1 jalapeño chile, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon fresh black pepper or to taste
- In a medium-size mixing bowl combine all ingredients until well blended. For a smoother salsa, you can put everything in the blender or food processor and pulse a few times until it's almost smooth, but still a little chunky.
- Cover and let stand for at least 30 minutes to let the flavors blend. Give it a stir, taste and adjust the seasonings before serving.
- This fresh tomato salsa recipe can be stored covered in the refrigerator and is best if used within 1 to 2 days of making.
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
Source: This easy healthy fresh tomato salsa recipe was adapted from Weight Watchers Momentum Healthy Cooking Basics (affiliate link)
If you liked this easy healthy fresh tomato salsa/pico de gallo recipe, you might also like:
- Fresh Tomato Salsa (SimplyRecipes)
- 16 Homemade Salsa Recipes & Canning Tips (TipNut)
- Fresh Tomato Salsa (RealSimple)
- Homemade Guacamole (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Simple Mango Salsa Recipe (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail Recipe (Simple-Nourished-Living)
Martha is the founder and main content writer for Simple-Nourished-Living.
A longtime lifetime WW at goal, she is committed to balancing her love of food and desire to stay slim while savoring life and helping others do the same.
She is the author of the Smart Start 28-Day Weight Loss Challenge.
A huge fan of the slow cooker and confessed cookbook addict, when she's not experimenting in the kitchen, you're likely to find Martha on her yoga mat.
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!
excellent pico de gallo