WW Recipe of the Day: Easy Enchilada Casserole
Here’s a healthy ground beef recipe that’s sure to please the entire family. It does mine.
It’s a lighter healthier take on a a recipe called Family Burrito Bake from the Pampered Chef Dinner in Your Deep Covered Baker Cookbook, that’s already pretty healthy.
Skinny on Ground Beef Enchilada Casserole
Because it’s made with corn tortillas – not flour – this quick & easy healthy dish is really a ground beef enchilada casserole or Mexican lasagna.
It’s a simple, easy and delicious dinner made from ingredients many people keep stocked in their kitchen.
The original recipe has 340 calories calories and 9 WW PointsPlus Values – not terrible for such a hearty satisfying dish. I was able to slim it down by 2 PointsPlus values, by using fat-free refried beans, using reduced fat cheese and cutting the amount of cheese in half.
Isn’t it great to be able to satisfy your cravings for Mexican food without guilt?
According to my calculations, each serving has about 298 calories and *7 Weight Watchers PointsPlus.
This delicious recipe is now just *4 WW SmartPoints on the new Freestyle Program! Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
Ground Beef Enchilada Casserole Recipe Substitutions
Substitute ground turkey or chicken for the beef if you prefer. Chopped chicken would also work well.
If you’ve made this beefy enchilada casserole, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Slim & Healthy Ground Beef Enchilada Casserole Recipe
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium taco seasoning mix
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexican corn, drained
- 1 jar (12 ounces) chunky salsa
- 6 corn tortillas (6 inches each)
- 1 can (16 ounces) non-fat refried beans
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup grated reduced-fat Monterey Jack or Mexican style cheese blend
- Chopped fresh tomato and chopped fresh green onions for garnish (if desired)
- Preheat the oven to 400F degrees.
- Mist a large skillet set over medium heat with nonstick cooking spray. Add the onion, garlic and beef to the skillet, breaking up the beef and stirring until the beef is browned and onion is softened. Drain the beef mixture. Stir in the taco seasoning, corn and 1 cup of the salsa and mix well.
- In a small bowl, combine the refried beans and water until smooth and spreadable.
- To assemble, spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Place 2 tortillas over bottom of the dish. Cut one tortilla to fill any gaps as layers are assembled. Spread 1/3 beans evenly over tortillas. Top with 1/3 beef mixuture and 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat layers one time. Arrange remaining 2 tortillas over cheese. Top with remaining beans and beef mixture.
- Cover and bake in 400F1 degree oven until hot about 25 minutes. Remove foil and top evenly with remaining salsa and cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let rest and set for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with chopped fresh tomato and green onions if desired. Divide the casserole into 8 even servings.
Source: the Pampered Chef Dinner in Your Deep Covered Baker Cookbook
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Healthy Mexican Casserole Recipes from Around the Web
- Black Bean Tortilla Casserole – Very tasty and healthy with lots of veggies, 246 calories, 7 g fat and 6 Weight Watchers PointsPlus Values from Taste of Home.
- Enchilada Lasagna – Layers of Ground turkey, cheese and corn tortillas combine for a tasty casserole with 282 calories, 11 g fat and 8 WW PointsPlus from Taste of Home.
- Taco Noodle Bake – Lighter, healthier casserole of noodles, ground turkey and taco seasonings with 312 calories and 8 PointsPlus Values from Taste of Home.
- La Bamba Casserole – Green chiles, ground turkey, corn beans and Mexican inspired spices in a light and tasty casserole with 344 calories and 8 Weight Watchers PointsPlus from Cooking Light found at MyRecipes.
And here’s a great video demonstrating making a yummy Weight Watchers Mexican Lasagna from WW Girl…
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!