Here's a healthy ground beef recipe that's sure to please the entire family. It does mine.
Because it's made with corn tortillas - not flour - this quick & easy healthy dish is really more of a ground beef enchilada casserole or Mexican lasagna. (Burritos are traditionally made with flour tortillas, but would get soggy in a casserole dish like this.
Regardless of what you call it, I love that this recipe makes for an easy and delicious dinner using common ingredients many people keep stocked in their kitchen.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Enchilada Casserole?
The original recipe has 340 calories calories - pretty good for such a hearty satisfying Mexican dish. I was able to shave off calories and WW SmartPoints by using fat-free refried beans, using reduced-fat cheese and cutting the amount of cheese in half.
According to my calculations this slimmed down version has 298 calories and
6 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
4 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
4 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
7 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Isn't it great to be able to satisfy your cravings for Mexican food without guilt?
No ground beef? Substitute ground turkey or chicken for the beef if you prefer. Chopped or shredded cooked chicken or turkey would also work well would also work well.
Healthy sides that would go well with this Mexican inspired casserole include:
- Simple tossed green salad ( love the bagged chopped salads widely available in supermarkets these days.)
- Zucchini (sauteed, roasted or grilled
- Zucchini tomato mushroom skillet
- Zucchini noodles (Zoodles)
- Cauliflower rice (I love to keep a package or two in the freezer for when I'm too lazy to make it myself.)
If you've made this Skinny Beefy Enchilada Casserole, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates
Slim & Healthy Ground Beef Enchilada Casserole Recipe
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium taco seasoning mix
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexican corn, drained
- 1 jar (12 ounces) chunky salsa
- 6 corn tortillas (6 inches each)
- 1 can (16 ounces) non-fat refried beans
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup grated reduced-fat Monterey Jack or Mexican style cheese blend
- Chopped fresh tomato and chopped fresh green onions for garnish (if desired)
- Preheat the oven to 400F degrees.
- Mist a large skillet set over medium heat with nonstick cooking spray. Add the onion, garlic and beef to the skillet, breaking up the beef and stirring until the beef is browned and onion is softened. Drain the beef mixture. Stir in the taco seasoning, corn and 1 cup of the salsa and mix well.
- In a small bowl, combine the refried beans and water until smooth and spreadable.
- To assemble, spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Place 2 tortillas over bottom of the dish. Cut one tortilla to fill any gaps as layers are assembled. Spread ⅓ beans evenly over tortillas. Top with ⅓ beef mixuture and ⅓ of the cheese. Repeat layers one time. Arrange remaining 2 tortillas over cheese. Top with remaining beans and beef mixture.
- Cover and bake in 400F degree oven until hot, about 25 minutes. Remove foil and top evenly with remaining salsa and cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let rest and set for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with chopped fresh tomato and green onions if desired. Divide the casserole into 8 even servings.
Source: the Pampered Chef Dinner in Your Deep Covered Baker Cookbook
*PersonalPoints® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Healthy WW Friendly Mexican Casserole Recipes from my Favorite Websites:
- Bubble Up Enchiladas - Bubble Up Enchiladas is a casserole dish made with layers of biscuits, ground turkey and enchilada sauce, and topped with cheese. They call it Bubble Up because of the biscuits "bubble up" when they bake in the oven. (Recipe-Diaries)
- Healthy Taco Casserole - Healthy Taco Casserole with ground turkey, pinto beans, corn, salsa, and cheese makes a healthy, easy, and filling meal your whole family will love (Slender Kitchen)
- Layered Chicken Enchilada Bake - If you love Mexican flavors and you are looking for a meaty, cheesy, saucy casserole that will fill you up and satisfy your cravings, this Layered Chicken Enchilada Bake is for you. (Emily Bites)
- Skinny Beef & Bean Enchilada Casserole - Forget all the tortilla rolling, I've got a skinny twist that’s easy to assemble and really, really good. This casserole has many of the same ingredients of a classic enchilada and some updated skinny ones too. For example, instead of adding a large amount of high fat cheese, I'm adding fat-free cottage cheese to the layers and only topping with ½ cup of shredded reduced-fat cheese. (Skinny Kitchen)
- Two Ingredient Dough Bubble Up Enchilada Casserole - This Two Ingredient Dough Enchilada Casserole is filled with ground turkey, beans, corn and then smothered in a red enchilada sauce. This makes for a simple yet delicious meal that the whole family will love! (Pound Dropper)
- WW Chicken Enchilada Bake - Do you love the flavors of Mexican food? Sometimes it takes a little creativity and effort to find the perfect Weight Watchers recipe, but it is possible to make recipes healthier and more points friendly! So satisfying you won't even miss those extra calories. (Life is Sweeter by Design)
And here's a great video demonstrating making a yummy Weight Watchers Mexican Lasagna from WW Girl...
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!