Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: 3-Ingredient Sloppy Joes
As anyone who has been following me here knows, I’m a slow cooker fanatic. But every once in a while when the mood strikes I pull out my skillet, which is exactly what I did last night to make these super simple 3-Ingredient Sloppy Joes.
Classic kid food, I sometimes get an unexplained craving for Sloppy Joes, usually around this time of year.
Making regular appearances on the school cafeteria menu, for some reason I associate them with cooler weather and Halloween.
I think Mom must have served them once before we headed out trick-or-treating and the connection in my brain stuck.
I don’t know about you, but when I want sloppy joes, I’m not interested in an ingredient list as long as my arm.
We’re talking sloppy joes for goodness sake.
Roberta hit rock bottom at 48 years old. She weighed 171 lbs. at 5'1". She suffered from back pain, thyroid problems and adrenal issues. Yet as you can see it’s all behind her now. And she feels and looks like a woman half her age!... Following Eat Stop Eat gave Roberta the freedom she needed. It allowed her body to naturally find its own weight loss rhythm. And the results are stunning!
And I don’t make them often enough to keep the canned sauce in my pantry.
This Campbell’s recipe for Picante Sloppy Joes calling for two things I always have in my pantry – salsa or picante sauce and barbecue sauce – is a brilliant solution.
These super simple sloppy joe’s have just 3-ingredients and can be whipped up in 30 minutes or less, perfect when you need to get dinner on the table with minimum effort.
Skinny on Simple Sloppy Joes Recipe
To keep your Sloppy Joes as light and Weight Watchers friendly as possible, be sure to use extra lean ground beef.
Here are a few more ideas to lower the Points value even further:
- Replace the regular hamburger bun with a sandwich thin and save 1 to 2 Points.
- Skip half the bun and eat an open-face sloppy joe. (-2 Points)
- Skip the bun and eat your sloppy joe from a bowl on a bed of salad greens or cauliflower rice and save 4 points.
- Bulk up the mixture by using 1/2 chopped mushrooms and 1/2 ground beef.
- Bulk up with additional veggies: shredded cabbage, shredded carrots, onion, bell pepper, etc.
Better than canned sauce, and much easier and more flavorful than those I’ve made from scratch, this super simple 3-Ingredient Sloppy Joes Recipe is a keeper. Rod, Mom and I all liked it. For best results, use your favorite picante and barbecue sauces. I used the leftovers to make a yummy Sloppy Joe Quesadilla for lunch.
(eCourse + eBook)
(eCourse + eBook)
Ingredients & Kitchen Tools I used to make this recipe:
- Extra Lean Ground Beef (Substitute ground turkey if you prefer)
- Picante sauce
- Barbecue sauce
- Green onions
- Hamburger buns
- Large Skillet
- 1 pound extra lean (95%) ground beef
- ¾ cup Picante Sauce
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- 2 green onions, sliced (about ¼ cup, optional)
- 5 hamburger buns, split and lightly toasted
- In a large skillet set over medium high heat, cook the beef, stirring and breaking up the meat, until it is browned, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the picante sauce, barbecue sauce and green onions (if using) into the skillet. Stir to combine.
- Cook, stirring often, until the mixture is hot and bubbling.
- Divide the beef mixture evenly among the buns.
Source: adapted from Campbell’s Picante Sloppy Joes
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Weight Watchers 30 Minute Meal Ideas:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.