Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: 3-Ingredient Sloppy Joes
(282 calories | *7 WW Freestyle SmartPoints)
As anyone who has been following me here knows, I’m a slow cooker fanatic.
But every once in a while when the mood strikes I pull out my skillet, which is exactly what I did last night to make these super simple 3-Ingredient Sloppy Joes.
Classic kid food, I sometimes get an unexplained craving for Sloppy Joes, usually around this time of year.
Making regular appearances on the school cafeteria menu, for some reason I associate them with cooler weather and Halloween.
I think Mom must have served them once before we headed out trick-or-treating and the connection in my brain stuck.
I don’t know about you, but when I want sloppy joes, I’m not interested in an ingredient list as long as my arm.
We’re talking sloppy joes for goodness sake.
And I don’t make them often enough to keep the canned sauce in my pantry.
These super simple sloppy joe’s have just 3-ingredients and can be whipped up in 30 minutes or less, perfect when you need to get dinner on the table with minimum effort.
Skinny on Simple Sloppy Joes Recipe
To keep your Sloppy Joes as light and Weight Watchers friendly as possible, be sure to use extra lean ground beef.
Here are a few more ideas to lower the Points value even further:
- Replace the regular hamburger bun with a sandwich thin and save 1 to 2 Points.
- Skip half the bun and eat an open-face sloppy joe. (-2 Points)
- Skip the bun and eat your sloppy joe from a bowl on a bed of salad greens or cauliflower rice and save 4 points.
- Bulk up the mixture by using 1/2 chopped mushrooms and 1/2 ground beef.
- Bulk up with additional veggies: shredded cabbage, shredded carrots, onion, bell pepper, etc.
Better than canned sauce, and much easier and more flavorful than those I’ve made from scratch, this super simple 3-Ingredient Sloppy Joes Recipe is a keeper.
Rod, Mom and I all liked it.
For best results, use your favorite picante and barbecue sauces.
I used the leftovers to make a yummy Sloppy Joe Quesadilla for lunch.
According to my calculations, each Sloppy Joe Sandwich has about 282 calories, *7 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *7 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
Ingredients & Kitchen Tools I Used To Make These Low Fat Sloppy Joe’s:
- Extra Lean Ground Beef (Substitute ground turkey if you prefer)
- Picante sauce
- Barbecue sauce
- Green onions
- Light hamburger buns
- Large Skillet
- Chef’s Knife
If you like this simple Sloppy Joe’s recipe, be sure to check out some of my other easy, healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes including Slow Cooker Italian Sloppy Joes, Easy Enchilada Casserole, 4-Ingredient Slow Cooker Porcupine Meatballs, Skinny Pepperoni Pizza Chili and Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Casserole
Simple 3-Ingredient Sloppy Joe's Recipe
- 1 pound extra lean (95%) ground beef
- 3/4 cup Picante Sauce
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 green onions, sliced )about 1/4 cup, optional)
- 5 light hamburger buns, split and lightly toasted
- In a large skillet set over medium high heat, cook the beef, stirring and breaking up the meat, until it is browned, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the picante sauce, barbecue sauce and green onions (if using) into the skillet. Stir to combine.
- Cook, stirring often, until the mixture is hot and bubbling.
- Divide the beef mixture evenly among the five buns.
Recipe source: adapted from Campbell’s Picante Sloppy Joes
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
Watch how this Weight Watcher makes her own version of Sloppy Joe’s:
More Weight Watchers 30-Minute Meal Ideas:
- Easy Lightened Up Skillet Lasagna (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Skinny Southwest Goulash (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Mom’s Easy Alfredo Ravioli Casserole (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Skillet Cheesy Chicken & Veggie “Rice” (SkinnyTaste)
- Pesto Turkey Tortellini Soup (Cookin’Canuck)
- Parmesan-Crusted Chicken (HungryGirl)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!