This easy taco soup is one of my favorite easy recipes for ground beef (or ground turkey).
It’s a family favorite. My mom loves it too.
It’s perfect for a healthy lunch or simple supper. I love soup for supper.
This is a easy delicious soup made from browned lean ground beef and a few common pantry staples. (Feel free to substitute ground turkey if you like it better. I often do.)
While the soup simmers, you have time to assemble the tasty toppings that help make this simple soup so special – avocado, sour cream, shredded cheese and even fresh lime and cilantro.
I live in Phoenix where fresh limes and cilantro are always easy to find, but if you don’t, this soup is still delicious without them.
If you like thinner soup feel free to add more water.
I hope you enjoy this easy tasty soup recipe as much as we do.
- ½ pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 medium-size onion)
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) Mexican-style diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) beans (kidney, pinto, black or chili), undrained
- 1 can (11 ounces) corn, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 package (1.25 ounces) reduced sodium taco seasoning
- 1 avocado, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 cup sour cream or Greek style yogurt
- 1 cup pre-shredded cheese (Cheddar, Jack or Mexican blend)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro sprigs
- 1 lime, cut into 8 wedges
- Tortilla chips, for garnish, if desired
- Spray a large sauce pot (4 quart) with cooking spray and place it over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and break it up with a wooden spoon, stirring for about 1 minute. Stir in the onion and continue to cook, stirring often, until the ground beef is brown all over and the onion is soft, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, beans, corn, tomato sauce and taco seasoning. Fill the can of tomato sauce with water and add it to the pot too. Stir well. Allow the soup to come to a boil and then reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and let the soup bubble gently for 15 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, get your avocado, sour cream, cheese, cilantro, lime and corn chips ready.
- To serve, ladle the hot soup into serving bowls and pass around the avocado cubes, sour cream, cheese, cilantro, lime wedges and tortilla chips so everyone can top it just the way they like it.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
*PointsPlus® for this easy taco soup recipe calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
More Favorite Taco Soup Recipes:
If you like this easy taco soup, you might also like…
Today’s Food for Thought
“If your actions create a legacy that inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more, and become more, then you are an excellent leader.”
~ Dolly Parton
Do you have a favorite quote? I’d love for you to leave it for me in the comments!!
This post contains Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!