This easy hamburger macaroni soup shows up quite often for dinner at our house, especially during the fall and winter.
It’s warm and satisfying without being too heavy and so easy to stir together.
For an even lighter version, I sometimes substitute ground turkey for the ground beef in my macaroni soup.
Another thing that makes this easy soup a winner is its versatility.
After making it once or twice you can make substitutions and adjust seasonings based on your tastes and what’s in the pantry. I sometimes add a bit of dried thyme, basil, or Italian seasoning.
I also use whatever macaroni I have on hand. Most recently I used thin multi-grain spaghetti broken into 1-inch pieces.
This is a really easy hamburger soup recipe too since it calls for a package of frozen mixed vegetables instead of fresh, saving lots of peeling and chopping time and effort. I don’t feel bad using frozen vegetables, especially during the winter. They are economical, and since they are frozen at their peak of freshness, are often as nutritious as fresh.
I like to serve it with toasted sourdough bread, homemade beer bread, or corn bread.
If you’ve made this hamburger macaroni soup, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Easy Hamburger Macaroni Soup Recipe
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound very lean ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14 to 14.5 ounces) beef broth
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup uncooked macaroni or spaghetti broken into 1-inch pieces
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, add the olive oil. Crumble up the ground beef and add it to the pot, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Add the salt and pepper and additional seasoning if you like.
- Continue to cook, giving it a stir from time to time, until the ground beef is cooked through and browned all over. This will take about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in both cans of tomatoes, the broth, the frozen vegetables and the bay leaf. Then fill both tomato cans with water and add to the pot. Stir everything together and let the soup come up to a boil.
- Give it another stir then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pot and let the soup simmer for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 hour if you have the time.
- Stir in the macaroni and cover the pot again. Let the soup simmer until it has thickened up a bit and the pasta is al dente. This will take about 5 to 10 minutes depending on the type of macaroni you are using.
Recipe Source: The Dinner Doctor
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If You Liked this Easy Hamburger Macaroni Soup, You Might Also Like:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!