Here is an easy slow cooker potato soup recipe your family will love. Mine sure did!
What is it about creamy potato soup that is so satisfying?
If you are interested in simplifying your life in the kitchen, consider getting a slow cooker. Every time I dig mine out I ask myself why I don’t use it more.
Easy soups make great, no-fuss, healthy dinners. Especially when you use your slow cooker or crock pot.
(eCourse + eBook)
(eCourse + eBook)
This creamy, easy slow cooker potato soup recipe was chosen over many others recently when frugality met desperation.
I was desperate to avoid a trip to the grocery store. So decided to fix a simple supper with what was in the pantry – an onion, some potatoes, a can of evaporated milk, bouillon cubes.
And the refrigerator – a couple of carrots, a few stalks of celery, some green onion, bacon pieces, and a small hunk of cheddar.
I pulled out my Fix-It And Forget-It Big Cookbook since I was feeling especially lazy. And scanned for an easy slow cooker potato soup recipe that called for the ingredients I had available.
There were several to choose from. With a little mixing and matching I was able to hobble together my particular version of creamy potato soup.
And even managed to make it Weight Watchers friendly!
It’s hard to believe that a few humble ingredients and minimal effort can result in such a deliciously satisfying supper.
Served with toasted sourdough bread from the freezer, my guys gobbled up this tummy warming, creamy, cheesy potato soup.
They declared it a winner worth repeating. Enjoy!
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 chicken or vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 cups water
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 (12 ounce) can fat free evaporated milk
- ½ cup reduced fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped green onions
- Chopped bacon pieces
- Low fat sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Combine all ingredients, except evaporated milk and cheddar cheese, in your slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW 7-9 hours, or on HIGH for 4-6 hours.
- Stir in the evaporated milk during last hour of cooking.
- Mash soup with hand masher or KitchenAid Hand Blender (my tool of choice) until it's creamy. Add cheese and stir until cheese has melted.
- Taste and check for seasoning, adding more salt and/or pepper if necessary.
- Add more milk, or water, if you prefer your creamy potato soup to have a thinner consistency. Serve with your choice of toppings.
- This recipe for creamy potato soup is delicious served on its own, or with warm bread, crackers and a simple salad or or fruit.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.