Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Summer Vegetable Soup
CLICK HERE FOR MORE EASY & DELICIOUS SLOW COOKER RECIPES!
(Weight Watchers Crock Pot Recipes #208 – Slow Cooker Summer Vegetable Soup)
This easy, healthy and delicious slow cooker summer vegetable soup proves that minestrone is not just for cold weather. The key is to serve it like the Italians do, at room temperature, with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkling of grated Parmesan. Which is what I did for dinner last night.
We enjoyed it with crusty Italian bread and a bit of Spanish chorizo and Manchego cheese on the side. YUM! And I plan on having it several more times this week to compensate for all the extra indulgences I ate and drank (rocky road ice cream, french fries, margaritas, ribs, sangria, berry cobbler…) during the long holiday weekend.
If you prefer, it is delicious served hot too. But with our triple digit temperatures hot soup is the last thing I want right now.
SALE ends in...
Not sure its right for you?
No worries, that's why we've got a 30 day full happiness guarantee.
Skinny on Slow Cooker Summer Vegetable Soup
This slow cooker vegetable soup requires a fair bit of chopping, an activity I find almost as soothing and meditative as yoga. As I focus on the task at hand I can feel my body and mind relax. And once I am finished and everything is in the pot all of the hard work is behind me.
Eight or so hours later I’m rewarded with a pot of deliciousness.
According to my calculations each serving has 191 calories and *5 Weight Watchers Points Plus, *3 SmartPoints. For Simply Filling use brown rice. For a spicier soup, add crushed red pepper flakes to taste when serving. A splash of red wine vinegar might be nice too.
- 2 cups fresh chopped tomatoes or canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14 to 16 ounces) garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped (about 1-1/2 cups) (I used red potatoes)
- 2 medium onions, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 large stalks celery, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 6 cups water
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- ½ cup long-grain white rice
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for serving, if desired
- Fresh grated Parmesan cheese, for serving if desired
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 5 to 6-Quart
- Combine the tomatoes, garbanzo beans, carrots, potatoes, onions, celery, garlic, bell pepper, zucchini, water, 1 teaspoon salt and black pepper to taste, stirring well.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 - 9 hours or on HIGH for 4 - 5 hours, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the rice. Cover and cook on HIGH, 30 minutes longer, or until the rice is tender and the soup is thick.
- Stir in the basil and let the soup cool to room temperature.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper to suit your tastes. Spoon into bowls. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkling of Parmesan if desired.
Source: The Mediterranean Slow Cooker
*PointsPlus® for slow cooker summer vegetable soup calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc
If you liked this recipe for summer slow cooker vegetable soup you might also like:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.