WW Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Vegetarian Minestrone Soup
(231 calories | *3 WW Freestyle SmartPoints)
(231 calories | 5 3 3 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
I first made this yummy healthy slow cooker vegetarian minestrone last April, just as the temperatures were heating up here in Phoenix.
It was delicious, so I’m making it again now while the weather is cold and rainy.
Brimming with all kinds of good-for-you ingredients, healthy soups like this are just what my body wants as I continue to get back into balance following the holidays.
I love soup and am willing to eat it all year, but am not sure everyone else feels the same way when the temperatures begin to rise here in the desert.
Skinny on Healthy Slow Cooker Vegetarian Minestrone
This colorful slow cooker vegetarian minestrone soup with its rainbow of vegetables is healthy, delicious and vegetarian-friendly.
You can use any multi-colored pasta in place of the rotini.
The directions say to pre-cook the chard stems and onion in a skillet before tossing them into the slow cooker.
Instead, I gave the onions a quick cook in the microwave to soften them a little, but skipped precooking the chard stems which worked fine.
The addition of pesto at the end really bumps up the flavor. So, if possible, don’t skip it. (I love the imported refrigerated pesto from Costco.)
According to my calculations, each generous serving of this vegetarian minestrone has 231 calories and
5 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
6 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
This recipe will work with Weight Watchers Simply Filling too if you count the olive oil as part of your daily good health guidelines requirement, use whole wheat pasta and count the 2 SmartPoints in the pesto. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made this Slow Cooked Vegetarian Minestrone, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Healthy Slow Cooker Vegetarian Minestrone Soup Recipe
- 4 stalks Swiss chard (about 1/2 pound) (I used rainbow chard)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans, or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium sweet red or yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves. minced
- 1 medium yellow summer squash or zucchini, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked spiral pasta (whole wheat for Simply Filling)
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto (omit for Simply Filling)
- Ideal slow cooker size: 6-Quart.
- Cut stems away from the chard leaves and chop stems and leaves separately. Reserve leaves for adding later.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onion and chard stems. Cook, stirring often for 3-5 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a the slow cooker.
- Stir the broth, tomatoes, beans, pepper, carrot and garlic into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours, or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the pasta, zucchini and reserved chard leaves.
- Cook, covered, on LOW 20-25 minutes longer, or until pasta is tender.
- Serve topped with pesto.
Source: Taste of Home
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Delicious Healthy Veggie Soup Recipes for Weight Watchers
Watch how the Domestic Geek makes her own version of healthy crock pot vegetarian minestrone soup – which is perfect for Meatless Monday:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!