WW Recipe of the Day: Easy Healthy 5-Ingredient Asparagus Minestrone Soup
Talk about simple and delicious. Just toss all the ingredients together in a large saucepan and let simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. So easy and satisfying. The longer I live the more enamored I become of super simple, streamlined recipes like this.
If you have been hanging out with me for any amount of time you know that I am a soup nut. I can't help adding more easy healthy soup recipes here on the blog and even wrote an eCookbook filled with Skinny Soups for the Slow Cooker and Stovetop!
Eating soup has been one of my favorite strategies for staying slim. After a few days of overindulgence my body naturally wants to compensate with low calorie nourishing foods like soup.
How Soup Helps You Slim Down
Eating soup can help you feel full on fewer calories, which is essential to long-term sustainable weight loss success. Soup can be a beneficial addition to a weight loss or slimming plan for several reasons:
- Low-Calorie Option: Many types of soup are naturally low in calories, especially broth-based or vegetable-based soups, like this easy asparagus minestrone. They can help you feel full without consuming a large number of calories, which can aid in weight loss.
- High Water Content: Soups typically have a high water content, which adds volume to the meal without adding extra calories. The high water content can help increase satiety and reduce overall calorie intake.
- Fiber-Rich Ingredients: If your soup contains ingredients like vegetables, legumes, or whole grains, it can be an excellent source of dietary fiber. Fiber helps you feel fuller for longer and aids in digestion, which can support weight management.
- Nutrient Density: Depending on the ingredients used, soups can provide a wide range of essential nutrients like vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Getting a good balance of nutrients while managing your calorie intake is important for overall health and weight management. They also keep you feeling full longer.
- Portion Control: Eating a bowl of soup before a meal can help with portion control. Starting your meal with a low-calorie, broth-based soup can help curb your appetite, leading to consuming fewer calories during the main course. And of course eating it as your main course as often as you can is even better! (Weight Watchers Weight Loss Tip: How to Estimate Your Portions)
How Many Calories and Weight Watchers Points in this Minestrone?
According to my calculations, each serving has 162 calories and:
4 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
0 *SmartPoints (Purple plan with whole grain pasta)
4 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Easy Asparagus Minestrone Soup Ingredients
- 20 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 bunch of asparagus, cut up into 1-inch or so pieces (discard the tough stem ends)
- 1 cup (3.5 ounces) of elbow macaroni (or other pasta shape or your choice such as shells, little bowties, rotini, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon Better than Bouillon (chicken or vegetable) or a couple of bouillon cubes
- 1-½ cups (7 ounces) of fresh or frozen peas
How to Make This Quick and Easy Soup
Step 1: You just assemble and prep your simple list of ingredients
Step 2: Toss everything into a soup pot along with 4.5 cups of water. Bring to a bubble. Lower the heat and simmer gently until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
Step 3: Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into a bowl and enjoy with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil if you are feeling extravagant. A sprinkle of cheese, like Parmesan would be nice as well.
Recipe Notes, Variations and Substitutions
This recipe is only a guide. Use whatever quick cooking vegetables you prefer.
Zucchini, summer squash, or green beans would make nice substitutions for the asparagus.
Substitute corn or a can of your favorite beans or chick peas
I liked how the flavor of the vegetables shined here. But add whatever herbs and spices suit your fancy. Basil, parsley, thyme, oregano, cilantro, savory, Italian seasoning, etc.
Grated cheese, chopped fresh herbs, a drizzle of pesto, croutons, etc.
What Should I Serve with this Soup?
Ways to Use Leftovers
This recipe makes 4 servings, so there won't be a ton of leftovers. You can portion them out for future quick and easy lunches suppers. You could also simply make less of this soup by dividing all the ingredients in half if you prefer.
If you've made this Easy 5-Ingredient Asparagus Minestrone, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Easy Healthy 5-Ingredient Asparagus Minestrone
- 20 medium cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 tablespoon Better than Bouillon (chicken or vegetable) (or 2 regular size bouillon cubes)
- 3.5 ounces elbow macaroni (or other small shape dry pasta) (1 cup)
- 7 ounces peas (¾ cup) (1.5 cups)
- Cut the asparagus into 1-inch pieces and discard the tough stem ends.
- Place the asparagus in a large saucepan along with the halved cherry tomatoes, bouillon, macaroni, peas and 4-½ cups of water.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and stir. Simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot.
Recipe source: Simple 2: More of the Easiest Recipes in the World by Jean-Francois Mallet
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Easy Healthy Vegetable Soup Recipes for Weight Watchers
- Healthy Slow Cooker Vegetarian Minestrone
- Slow Cooker Summer Vegetable Soup
- Summer Vegetable Soup
- WW Zero Point Vegetable Soup
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Originally published May 2020; Updated with new photos and content June 2023
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!