Just when I was contemplating how to use up various leftovers in the refrigerator that included a large roasted chicken breast, a small zucchini, a large carton of chicken broth, a small green bell pepper, and part of a can of chopped roasted green chiles, this tasty recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup showed up in my email.
I love when that happens!
I made this easy chicken tortilla soup even easier with a few replacements and shortcuts.
First, I opted to use crushed baked tortilla chips instead of making my own from scratch since I had a partially opened bag in the pantry.
Then, I used the green bell pepper and remaining roasted chopped green chiles since they were in the fridge.
I added the small chopped zucchini and didn’t have cilantro, so skipped it.
That’s what easy home cooking is all about – using a recipe as a guide and making the necessary adjustments to suit your tastes and needs. (I needed to use what was available and avoid a trip to the grocery store.) When I served this chicken tortilla soup last night with homemade corn muffins, Rod couldn’t stop raving about it. He loved the combination of textures and flavors. It was so good, we enjoyed the rest for lunch today.
Two of this delicious soup’s 9 Weight Watchers PointsPlus are from the avocado and it’s healthy fats. Turn this into a 7 points+ soup by leaving it out.
I hope you enjoy this deliciously easy recipe for chicken tortilla soup as much as we did
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 6 corn tortillas 6 inch
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 medium Anaheim poblano or jalapeno chile, seeded, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can 14 to 15 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher or sea salt
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 ripe medium avocado
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced fat Monterey Jack cheese
- Chopped fresh cilantro if desired
- 1 lime cut into wedges, if desired
- If you are going to make your own tortilla chips, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush tortillas lightly on both sides with 1 teaspoon of the oil. Cut tortillas in half then cut the halves into 1/4-inch strips. Place the strips on a foil lined baking sheet and bake until lightly golden brown and crisp, about ten minutes.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Add the chopped onion and salt and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the garlic and chile and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in the broth and tomatoes. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes. Add chicken; heat until hot.
- To serve, peel and pit the avocado then chop it into large chunks. Divide half of the tortilla strips among 4 individual soup bowls. Ladle in the chicken tortilla soup. Top with avocado and cheese. Garnish with remaining tortilla strips and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
Here’s a great video showing how to shred chicken:
If you liked this recipe for chicken tortilla soup, here are a few more of my favorite chicken soup recipes:
Easy Healthy Chicken and Dumplings Recipes – easy delicious – one version made on the stove and one in the slow cooker
Easy Healthy Greek Lemon Chicken and Rice Soup – a tasty easy healthy recipe without eggs
Slim & Delicious Chicken Vegetable Rice Soup – hearty and satisfying and low in Weight Watchers Points+
If this is your first time visiting Simple Nourished Living – welcome! If you like what you have found, please join me on Facebook or follow me on Pinterest or sign up to have my recipes and posts delivered by email. I’m always sharing easy, practical ideas for living happy, healthy and slim.
*PointsPlus® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.