WW Recipe of the Day: Easy Greek Chicken Soup with Lemon
(161 calories | 4 3 3 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
Greek lemon chicken soup typically uses eggs to thicken the broth, but we have a family member with an egg allergy, so imagine my delight when I came across a recipe for Greek Lemon Chicken Soup without eggs in The Pampered Chef: It's Good for You - Healthy Recipes for Busy Families (affiliate link) Cookbook.
The Skinny on Greek Lemon Chicken Soup
This healthy chicken soup recipe uses a can of fat-free cream of chicken soup to thicken the broth, instead of the more traditional egg yolks.
If you are not a fan of cream of chicken soup and don't mind, a thinner Greek chicken lemon soup, you could always leave it out. Or make it the traditional way, by whisking in several egg yolks at the end.
I further embellished this easy chicken soup recipe by adding a couple of handfuls of chopped spinach and a cup of defrosted frozen peas.
I can't seem to help myself when it comes to adding extra vegetables to soups. It's such a fun easy way to get more vegetables in your diet.
I also sauteed the vegetables in 1 tablespoon of olive oil instead of using non-stick cooking spray as suggested in the original recipe.
I believe in adding a little bit of fat to recipes because, fat is what carries the flavor, and because I'm not nearly as fat-phobic as I was back in the 1980s and 1990s. After several trips to Italy and France, I'm now quite liberal with its use, actually.
According to my calculations, each serving has about 161 calories and:
4 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
4 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
This makes a big batch of soup that we enjoyed for dinner one night and then again for a couple of lunches.
I love having leftover soups in the fridge for a quick easy lunch. If you don’t, you could always freeze the leftovers for a future quick easy dinner or cut the recipe in half.
Be sure to zest the lemon with your Microplane Zester Grater (affiliate link) before you juice the lemon. It's much easier.
Are You Ready To Slim Down With Soup?
Greek Lemon Chicken Soup Recipe Variations
Lemon Chicken Soup with Spinach and Peas
About 5 minutes before the soup is done stir in a couple of large handfuls of chopped spinach and 1 cup of defrosted frozen peas.
Traditional Greek Lemon Soup
Skip the can of cream of mushroom soup. When the rice is done, beat 4 egg yolks in a bowl. Slowly whisk 1 cup of the hot soup broth into the egg mixture then add the egg yolk/broth mixture to the soup pot. Cook, over medium heat, stirring often, until thickened, about 5 minutes.
If you've made this Lemon Chicken Soup, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Greek Lemon Chicken Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 2 cups chopped cooked lean chicken
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice (1 - 2 lemons)
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1 can (10-¾ ounces) 98% fat-free reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup
- 3 cans (14-½ ounces each) chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅔ cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add the carrots, onion, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken, lemon juice, lemon zest, soup, chicken broth and black pepper.
- Bring to a boil and then stir in the rice.
- Reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and simmer gently over low heat until the rice is tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley.
About 5 minutes before the soup is done stir in a couple of large handfuls of chopped spinach and 1 cup of defrosted frozen peas. Traditional Greek Lemon Soup
Skip the can of cream of mushroom soup. When the rice is done, beat 4 egg yolks in a bowl. Slowly whisk 1 cup of the hot soup broth into the egg mixture then add the egg yolk/broth mixture to the soup pot. Cook, over medium heat, stirring often, until thickened, about 5 minutes. 4 *SmartPoints (Green plan) 3 *SmartPoints (Blue plan) 3 *SmartPoints (Purple plan) 4 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Source: The Pampered Chef: It's Good for You - Healthy Recipes for Busy Families (affiliate link) Cookbook
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Easy Soup Recipes
- Zucchini Soup Recipe - a delicious easy creamy vegetable soup that can be enjoyed hot or cold
- Jamie Oliver Vegetable Soup with Beans</a - one of the most delicious vegetable soups I've ever tasted
- Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe - a delicious easy chicken tortilla soup perfect for a simple supper
- Easy Healthy Chicken and Dumpling Recipes - easy delicious recipes for chicken and dumplings - one made on the stove and one in the slow cooker
Martha is the founder and main content writer for Simple-Nourished-Living.
A longtime lifetime WW at goal, she is committed to balancing her love of food and desire to stay slim while savoring life and helping others do the same.
She is the author of the Smart Start 28-Day Weight Loss Challenge.
A huge fan of the slow cooker and confessed cookbook addict, when she's not experimenting in the kitchen, you're likely to find Martha on her yoga mat.
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!
Leave a Reply