WW Recipe of the Day: Creamy Low Calorie Mashed Potatoes
I love mashed potatoes. They are one of my favorite comfort foods.
I grew up eating my mom's over-the-top mashed potatoes, which always included at least a stick of margarine and were whipped until creamy with a handheld electric mixer .
Delicious but not exactly low calorie.
I tried "cauliflower" mashed potatoes years ago, but wasn't a fan, though I've discovered they work when done in combination with real potatoes.
So, instead of giving up mashed potatoes, I learned to lighten them up.
This is my go to recipe for creamy low calorie mashed potatoes, which can be modified tons of ways.
You can use reduced-fat milk, buttermilk or part milk and part non-fat Greek yogurt (my favorite), whatever you prefer.
Enjoy them plain, or add herbs or horseradish.
How Many Calories and WW Points in these Mashed Potatoes?
According to my calculations, each serving has about 153 calories and:
5 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
5 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
2 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
4 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes:
Substitute 1 medium head mashed potatoes for ½ the potatoes.
Celery Root Mashed Potatoes:
Substitute 1 pound trimmed, peeled celery root, cut into ½-inch pieced for 1 pound of the potatoes. (*3 SmartPoints).
Horseradish Mashed Potatoes:
Prepare the potatoes as directed, stirring 2 tablespoons drained prepared white horseradish into potatoes with the milk and olive oil.
Stir in 1 cup well drained steamed chopped spinach into the potatoes with the milk and olive oil.
Other Yummy Additions for your Creamy Mashed Potatoes:
Fresh chopped herbs (parsley, chives, rosemary). chopped scallions, pesto, grated parmesan, roasted garlic, etc.
If you like these low calorie creamy mashed potatoes, be sure to check out other delicious Weight Watchers friendly potato recipes: Cottage Cheese Baked Potato and Salsa, Crock Pot Potatoes Dijonnaise, Slow Cooker Scalloped Potatoes with Ham, Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes with Spinach & Dill and Weight Watchers Potato Salad
If you've made these low-calorie mashed potatoes, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Creamy Low Calorie Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup reduced-fat (2%) milk
- 1-½ tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan. Add enough water so they are covered by at least 1 inch. Add ½ teaspoon of salt.
- Turn the heat to high and bring the water to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, 10 - 15 minutes.
- Drain well.
- Add the milk and oil to the potatoes. With a potato masher or electric mixer, mash the potatoes until they are smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt and pepper, as necessary.
Source: adapted from Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook, Fifth Edition : Over 500 Delicious Recipes for the Healthy Cook's Kitchen
*PersonalPoints® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
Here's a Weight Watchers Video Showing Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes:
Looking for other delicious Weight Watchers friendly potato recipes?
- Weight Watchers Dill Potato Salad (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Potato Bake (Emily Bites)
- Loaded Santa Fe Baked Potato Skins (SkinnyTaste)
- Creamy Cauliflower Potato Soup (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Skinny AuGratin Potatoes (Skinny Kitchen)
- Best Ever Potato Skins (Hungry Girl)
- Grilled Potatoes (SkinnyTaste)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!