Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Spaghetti & Chicken Meatballs
(351 calories | *6 WW Freestyle SmartPoints)
Spaghetti and meatballs has been a favorite of mine for as long as I can remember. It was one of my mom’s specialties when I was growing up.
Back then she would make huge pots of homemade sauce with meatballs and Italian sausage that simmered on the stove for hours.
I can’t imagine life without the occasional bowl of pasta.
And thanks to Weight Watchers, I’ve learned that I don’t have to.
With time, practice and plenty of patience, I’ve learned how to incorporate all of my favorites, even wine, chocolate and ice cream, into my life.
The key for me has been learning to substitute lower calorie versions and/or settle for smaller portions, depending on the food and/or situation.
This WW Spaghetti & Chicken Meatballs recipe is a great example.
It’s lower in fat and calories than traditional spaghetti and meatballs and doesn’t make a huge amount.
Cooking everything in a large skillet makes this quick and easy to prepare too.
Skinny on Weight Watchers Spaghetti & Chicken Meatballs
Substituting ground chicken for beef in the meatballs significantly lowers the fat and calories without sacrificing flavor.
It’s an easy switch I’m happy to make in the name of moderation.
According to my calculations, each serving has 351 calories, *9 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *6 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
If the portion seems too skimpy, there are a few things you can do.
Increase the size of your pasta serving to a cup for 2 Points.
Or skip the pasta altogether and go with the squash. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
If you like this lightened up version of chicken meatballs and spaghetti, be sure to check out my other Weight Watchers friendly recipes including: Slow Cooker Porcupine Meatballs, Slow Cooker Meatballs with Sauce, Slow Cooker French Onion Meatballs, Crock Pot Cranberry Meatballs and Slow Cooker Hawaiian Meatballs
If you’ve made this Spaghetti with Chicken Meatballs, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Weight Watchers Spaghetti with Chicken Meatballs
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup Italian-seasoned dried bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 can (28-ounces) diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- To make the meatballs, in a large bowl gently mix together the chicken, eggs, bread crumbs, Parmesan and salt until well blended. With lightly moistened hands, form the mixture into 18 meatballs (about 1-1/2 inch in diameter).
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, 6-8 minutes. Transfer the meatballs to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the skillet. Add the onion, garlic, and basil and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion begins to soften, 2-3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and tomato paste and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until the sauce thickens slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Add the meatballs, cover and simmer until the meatballs are cooked through, 8-10 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti according to the package directions.
- Divide the spaghetti among 6 bowls; top evenly with the meatballs and sauce.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
This video from FitMenCook shows how he makes meal prep chicken meatballs:
More Weight Watchers Recipes for Meatball Lovers:
- Honey Sriracha Glazed Meatballs (EatYourselfSkinny)
- Skillet Taco Meatballs (HungryGirl)
- Eggplant “Meatballs” (SkinnyTaste)
- Low Calorie Buffalo Turkey Meatballs with Skinny Ranch Dressing (SkinnyKitchen)
- Ground Beef Spinach Meatballs (SlenderKitchen)
- Turkey Meatball Stroganoff (SkinnyTaste)
Here’s another way to make healthy chicken meatballs:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!