Weight Watchers Recipe: Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs Osso Buco
This is the first recipe I’ve tried from my new Weight Watchers One Pot Cookbook.
I gotta say, it’s a grand slam outta the park winner!
Easy. Healthy. Delectable.
The recipe name – Chicken Thighs Osso Buco – is a little misleading since according to Wikipedia, Osso Buco is Italian for “bone with a hole” (osso bone, buco hole) and refers to the marrow hole at the center of a cross-cut veal shank.
Since there was neither a bone nor a hole to be found in the boneless skinless chicken thighs I used to prepare this dish, I think it’s safe to assume that “osso buco” is referring to the preparation style…
Braised with tomatoes, carrots, celery and onions and topped with chopped a combination of garlic, parsley and lemon zest, called Gremolata.
Skinny on Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs Osso Buco
You simply prepare the vegetables, stir them together in the slow cooker and snuggle the chicken down in the mixture.
In a few hours, your dinner is ready and waiting!
The recipe called for skinless chicken thighs with bone, but I used boneless, skinless instead, which increases the points value to 5.
I served these luscious slow cooker osso buco chicken thighs with mashed potatoes and roasted broccoli and cauliflower.
This recipe is definitely going in my “Make Again” file.
According to my calculations, each serving contains about 150 calories, *4 Weight Watchers PointsPlus and *4 WW SmartPoints.
This dish would also be delicious served with whole wheat couscous, rice or pasta, or on a bed of cauliflower rice, or puree.
If you like this easy, healthy recipe for slow cooker chicken thighs Rosso buco, be sure to check out some of my other Weight Watchers friendly slow cooker recipes including 5-Ingredient Chicken Parmesan Lasagna, 4-Ingredient Slow Cooker Porcupine Meatballs, Slow Cooker Italian (Pizza) Sloppy Joes, Skinny Slow Cooker Marinara Sauce and Skinny Pepperoni Pizza Chili.
(eCourse + eBook)
(eCourse + eBook)
Simple and delicious slow cooker skinless chicken thighs braised in tomatoes, carrots, onions and celery.
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 stalk celery, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 sprigs flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 skinless chicken thighs (5 ounces each), trimmed (I used boneless, skinless)
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
In a 5- or 6-Quart slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, chicken broth, carrot, celery, onion, parsley sprigs, 1 teaspoon garlic, salt and pepper.
Snuggle the chicken thighs into the vegetable mixture.
Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours, or until the chicken and vegetables are tender.
With a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken thighs to a serving dish. Discard the parsley sprigs.
With a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to a bowl.
In a small bowl, mix together the remaining teaspoon of garlic, lemon zest and chopped parsley.
Stir half the parsley mixture into the vegetables.
Top the chicken with the vegetables and remaining parsley mixture and serve.
*4 Weight Watchers PointsPlus
*4 Weight Watchers SmartPoints
Source: slightly adapted from Weight Watchers One Pot Cookbook.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Easy, Healthy Weight Watchers Recipes You Might Like:
- Southern Slow Cooker Chicken & Grits – a delicious soupy combination of grits, chicken and vegetables for the slow cooker with 7 WW PointsPlus value from Weight Watchers
- Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs Bouillabaisse Style – healthy and delicious with just 4 WW PointsPlus Value from Good Housekeeping
- Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs & Sausage – hearty and delicious with just 7 WW PointsPlus Value from Taste of Home
- Slow Cooker Greek Chicken Stew – loaded with delectable Mediterranean flavor with only 5 WW PointsPlus Value from LaaLoosh
- Crock Pot Chicken a al Criolla – boneless skinless chicken thighs stewed with bell peppers, onions, garlic, tomatoes, olives, cilantro and spices and served over rice with 9 WW PointsPlus from SkinnyTaste
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.