WW Recipe of the Day: Skinny Slow Cooker Marinara Sauce
(50 calories | *1 WW SmartPoint)
Marinara sauce is one of my favorite ingredients to have on hand for quick and easy meals.
When you don’t have the time to cook tomato sauce from scratch, jarred marinara sauce is life-saver. I always have a jar or two in the pantry.
But I’ve learned to read the ingredient and nutritional labels to avoid unnecessary extra sugar, fat and calories.
As a Lifetime Weight Watcher, I’m always on the lookout for a brand that tastes good for the fewest SmartPoints and a reasonable price.
I like Classico Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce. A good value, a jar usually costs $3 or less and each 1/2 cup serving has just *2 WW SmartPoints.
Making homemade marinara is almost as easy as jarred, especially when you use your slow cooker. And because it has less sugar, each serving of this easy healthy marinara has just *1 WW SmartPoint.
This simple skinny slow cooker marinara sauce is perfect for busy days since the longer it simmers, the better it is.
I used my new favorite slow cooker, my Instant Pot , to whip up a batch recently.
I love that I can saute and slow cook all in the same pot.
The leftovers can be portioned out and frozen for future quick and easy meals.
Skinny on Slow Cooker Marinara Sauce
This simple slow cooker low sugar marinara sauce can be used so many ways – over pasta, zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash, to top homemade pizza or chicken parmesan, in your favorite lasagna or as a dipping sauce for pepperoni pizza muffins or crispy baked zucchini sticks.
It’s a great basic recipe that can be adapted to suit your tastes.
I’ve included some of my favorite ideas for embellishing it.
According to my calculations, each serving is about 50 calories, *1 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *1 WW Freestyle SmartPoint. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
Slow Cooker Marinara Sauce Recipe Variations
zestier: add dried spices such as oregano, basil, Italian Seasoning, fennel seed, more garlic, capers, chopped anchovies, balsamic vinegar (at the end)
chunkier: use 1 can crushed tomatoes and 1 can diced tomatoes
meaty: add cooked crumbled ground beef, pork, turkey, chicken or sausage
more vegetables: add chopped zucchini, sliced mushrooms, sliced olives, chopped spinach, etc
fishy: stir in tuna, anchovies, shrimp, scallops, etc (at the end)
cheesy: stir in grated Parmesan (at the end)
creamy: stir in a bit of cream or evaporated milk (at the end)
If you like this skinny slow cooker marinara sauce, be sure to check out my other easy, healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes including Pasta Puttanesca, Slow Cooker Meatballs & Sauce, Crock Pot Cajun Pasta Sauce, Chicken Parmesan Lasagna and Slow Cooker Lasagna Soup
If you’ve made this Low Sugar Crock Pot Marinara Sauce, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Skinny Slow Cooker Marinara Sauce Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cans (about 28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Ideal slow cooker size: 4- Quart.
- Place oil in a skillet set over medium heat. Add the onions and carrots and sprinkle with salt. Cook, stirring often until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute, stirring constantly to prevent it from burning.
- Scrape the vegetable mixture into the slow cooker. Add the tomatoes and sugar. Stir well to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.
- Remove cover and stir well.
- Cook on HIGH uncovered for 1 hour for a thicker marinara sauce.
Source: adapted from Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly Revised and Updated: 600 Healthy, Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker by Phyllis Good
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
Watch Phyllis from Fix-It and Forget-It as she shows you how she likes to make her own slow cooker marinara sauce:
More Healthy Recipes for Weight Watchers with Marinara Sauce
- Zucchini Marinara Pasta Swap (HungryGirl)
- Slow Cooker Rustic Italian Marinara Sauce (TheYummyLife)
- Creamy Marinara Sauce (DashingDish)
- Italian Potato Skins (HungryGirl)
- Vegetarian Spaghetti Squash Skillet (Cookin’Canuck)
- Quick Marinara Sauce (SkinnyTaste)
- The Perfect Easy Marinara Sauce (Slender Kitchen)
- Simple Summertime Fresh Roasted Marinara Sauce (Skinny Kitchen)
- Shrimp & Slaw Marinara (HungryGirl)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!