Weight Watchers SmartPoints Recipe: healthy 3-Cheese Garden Vegetable Pizza
I love taking favorite foods – like for example, muffins – and figuring out ways to make them lighter and healthier, so I can indulge in them without guilt.
The Skinny on Healthy Whole Wheat Vegetable Pizza
This tasty 3-cheese garden vegetable pizza with whole wheat crust is a great example of how easy it is to make pizza that is healthy and delicious. I adapted it from The Pampered Chef.
It’s made with whole wheat pizza dough, reduced-fat cheese and loaded with lots of fresh vegetables. I used red bell peppers, onions, fresh Roma tomatoes and mushrooms, but most any combination of fresh vegetables will work.
Other great healthy vegetable topping choices include thinly sliced zucchini, fresh roughly chopped spinach, quartered artichoke hearts, roasted bell peppers and fresh corn. (One of the most delicious pizzas I ever had was topped with a combination of fresh tomatoes, fresh corn and basil.)
If you’ve made this healthy whole wheat veggie pizza, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
- 1 pound whole wheat pizza dough
- 1 small onion, sliced into rings
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 plum Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded low fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning Mix
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Press whole wheat dough out to fill a 10x15-inch pan. (I use a stone pan that I love for this, but a metal jelly roll pan will work too.)
- Bake the crust 7 minutes. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack.
- While the crust is baking slice onion, pepper and tomatoes and mushrooms.
- Using a garlic press, press garlic over the warm crust and spread it out evenly.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella and cheddar cheeses evenly over crust.
- Top evenly with onion, pepper, mushrooms and tomatoes.
- Sprinkle grate Parmesan cheese over vegetables.
- Sprinkle with Italian seasoning mix.
- Return to the oven and bake 18 to 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Remove from oven. Cut into 12 rectangles using a sharp knife or pizza cutter.
Pre-baking the pizza crust will help keep it from getting soggy when topped with vegetables that have a high water content. Sprinkling some of the cheese on the crust before topping the pizza provides a barrier between the crust and the moist toppings.
Weight Watchers PointsPlus: *4
Weight Watchers SmartPoints: *4
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints: *4
Source: Adapted from The Pampered Chef
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
Here’s a WW video with 3 more healthy pizza recipes for you…
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!