WW Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Italian (Pizza) Sloppy Joes
(207 calories | 4 4 4 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
Here’s a fun Italian inspired variation on traditional sloppy joes that’s sure to please the entire family.
Just 3 ingredients combine to form the foundation for a winning dinner. Perfect for busy days.
Skinny on Slow Cooker Italian (Pizza) Sloppy Joe’s
I used Italian chicken sausage as the starting point, but turkey sausage or lean ground beef also would work. And I bulked the meat up with chopped mushrooms.
This recipe can be adapted in a variety of ways to work with what you like and/or have on hand – chopped onions, bell peppers and/or a little chopped pepperoni would be nice.
Or take the recipe in a vegetarian direction by substituting the meat with lentils, chick peas or your favorite meat substitute.
This simple satisfying recipe has been added to my “make again” soon file.
According to my calculations, each serving (without a bun or cheese), has about 207 calories and
4 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
4 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
4 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
5 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
Slow Cooker Italian Sloppy Joes Recipe Variations
vegetarian/vegan – substitute cooked lentils or chickpeas for the meat and use vegan cheese
different meats – sausage, ground beef, ground turkey, ground pork would all work
optional additions – chopped onions, chopped red and/or green bell peppers, chopped turkey pepperoni
additional seasonings – basil, oregano, rosemary, Italian seasoning blend, crushed red pepper flakes
serving ideas – english muffins, sandwich thins, flat breads panini style, garlic toast, zucchini noodles, spaghetti squash, cauliflower rice, lettuce wraps, stuffed into a cooked portabello mushroom, or zucchini boat, or filling for a quesadilla.
If you like these lightened Italian sloppy joe’s, be sure to check out my other easy, healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes including WW 3-Ingredient Sloppy Joe’s, Slow Cooker Hamburger Stew, 3-Ingredient BBQ Lentils, Crock Pot Tomato, Beef & Macaroni Soup and Skinny Southwestern Goulash
If you’ve made these Italian Pizza Sloppy Joes, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Slow Cooker Italian (Pizza) Sloppy Joe Recipe
- 1 pound bulk Italian chicken or turkey sausage
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups favorite marinara sauce (I like Classico Tomato & Basil)
- 6 light hamburger buns, toasted (optional, for serving)
- Thinly sliced or shredded mozzarella cheese (optional, for serving)
- Ideal slow cooker size: 3- or 4-Quart.
- Cook sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain of any excess fat.
- Spray slow cooker insert with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine cooked sausage, chopped mushrooms and marinara sauce in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW heat setting, 6 to 8 hours
- Serve on your favorite light bun, english muffins, flat bread, cooked portabella mushrooms, zucchini noodles, etc.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
Weight Watcher Girl shares her recipe for WW friendly sloppy joe’s in this video:
More Easy Weight Watchers Friendly Sloppy Joe Recipes:
- WW Sloppy Joe Baked Sweet Potatoes (SkinnyTaste)
- Sloppy Joe Casserole (DrizzleMeSkinny)
- Sloppy Joe Cauliflower Rice (SkinnyKitchen)
- Slow Cooker Sloppy Joe Chicken (HungryGirl)
- Deep Dish Sloppy Joe Casserole (EmilyBites)
- Vegetarian Slow Cooker Tuscan Lentil Sloppy Joes (SlenderKitchen)
- Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joes (SlenderKitchen)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!