WW Recipe of the Day: Southwestern Ground Beef Goulash
(224 calories | *4 WW Freestyle SmartPoints)
This Southwestern Goulash is a modern take on my Mom’s hamburger goulash that I’ve loved since I was a kid.
I had a feeling as soon as I spied the recipe in the Taste of Home Best of Comfort Food Diet Cookbook: Lose Weight With 749 Recipes From Today’s Family Cooks! it would be a winner with us. I was right.
How Many Calories/Weight Watchers Points in this Southwestern Ground Beef Goulash Recipe?
According to my calculations each serving has 224 calories, *6 Weight Watchers Points Plus and *4 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
Skinny Southwestern Goulash Recipe Notes
I increased the corn from 2/3 to 1 cup and the cumin from 1/2 to 1 teaspoon, which was just right for us. To spice this recipe even further, you could add some taco seasoning or cayenne pepper.
For more heartiness you could add a can of drained and rinsed black beans.
I used lean ground beef, but ground turkey, chicken or pork would also work. As would chopped mushrooms for a vegetarian version.
I liked that it was easy to make and provided great leftovers. This is the kind of dish I like even better leftover.
Served with a big tossed green salad, it made for a satisfying supper. Cornbread or muffins would be nice with it too. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made this Southwestern Ground Beef Goulash with Corn, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Southwestern Goulash with Corn
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni (I used whole wheat)
- 1 pound 95% lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2/3 cup frozen corn (I used 1 cup)
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (I used 1 teaspoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- While the water is boiling and pasta is cooking, prepare the ground beef and vegetables.
- In a large skillet set over medium heat, cook the beef and onion, stirring and breaking up the meat into small crumbles, until meat is no longer pink, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, corn, tomato sauce, chilies, cumin, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil then lower the heat to a gentle simmer and continue to cook, uncovered, for 4-5 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Drain macaroni and add to the meat/vegetable mixture.
- Stir in the cilantro and heat through. Taste and adjust the seasonings, adding more salt, pepper, cumin, etc. to taste.
Recipe source: adapted from Taste of Home Best of Comfort Food Diet Cookbook: Lose Weight with 749 Recipes From Today’s Family Cooks!
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
Kitchen tools I used to make this Southwestern Beef Goulash:
Looking for more easy Weight Watchers Recipes for Skillet Meals?
- One-Pot Cheeseburger Pasta Skillet
- Easy Lightened Up Skillet Lasagna
- Sweet Potato Turkey Dinner in a Skillet
- Lentils, Sausage and Kale Skillet Supper
- Mom’s Hamburger Goulash with Elbow Macaroni
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!