Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Easy Skinny Southwestern Goulash
This Skinny Southwestern Goulash is a modern take on my Mom’s hamburger goulash that I’ve loved since I was a kid.
I had a feeling as soon as I spied the recipe in the Taste of Home Best of Comfort Food Diet Cookbook: Lose Weight With 749 Recipes From Today’s Family Cooks! it would be a winner with us. I was right.
How Many Calories/Weight Watchers Points in this Skinny Southwestern Goulash Recipe?
According to my calculations each serving has 224 calories, 6* Weight Watchers points plus and 4* WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
Skinny Southwestern Goulash Recipe Notes
I increased the corn from 2/3 to 1 cup and the cumin from 1/2 to 1 teaspoon, which was just right for us. To spice this recipe even further you could add some taco seasoning or cayenne pepper. For more heartiness you could add a can of drained and rinsed black beans.
I used lean ground beef, but ground turkey, chicken or pork would also work. As would chopped mushrooms for a vegetarian version.
I liked that it was easy to make and provided great leftovers. This is the kind of dish I like even better leftover. Served with a big tossed green salad, it made for a satisfying supper. Cornbread or muffins would be nice with it too. Enjoy!
Southwestern Goulash Recipe
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni (I used whole wheat)
- 1 pound 95% lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2/3 cup frozen corn (I used 1 cup)
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (I used 1 teaspoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- While the water is boiling and pasta is cooking, prepare the ground beef and vegetables.
- In a large skillet set over medium heat, cook the beef and onion, stirring and breaking up the meat into small crumbles, until meat is no longer pink, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, corn, tomato sauce, chilies, cumin, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil then lower the heat to a gentle simmer and continue to cook, uncovered, for 4-5 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Drain macaroni and add to the meat/vegetable mixture.
- Stir in the cilantro and heat through. Taste and adjust the seasonings, adding more salt, pepper, cumin, etc. to taste.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
Tools I used to make this Skinny Southwestern Goulash:
Looking for more easy Weight Watchers Recipes for Skillet Meals?
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!