Have you ever made skillet lasagna?
Just hearing the word “lasagna” makes my mouth water. But it’s not a dish I tackle very often, since it takes a lot of time and makes a huge amount.
So, when Mom mentioned an easy Weeknight Skillet Lasagna from Kraft’s Food & Family magazine that she had made and enjoyed several times, I decided it was a recipe I wanted to try.
A quick and easy one-pot dish combining lasagna noodles, spaghetti sauce, ground beef, vegetables and a little cheese, this easy skillet lasagna is perfect for a busy weeknight supper.
I tweaked the recipe a bit to make it lighter and more Weight Watchers friendly.
I substituted low fat zesty Italian dressing. Used reduced fat mozzarella cheese. And decreased the number of lasagna noodles. I also added some dried Italian seasoning for a little more flavor.
Next time I plan on bulking it up with more vegetables, such as chopped mushrooms, zucchini and a little spinach.
Rod and I both thought it was good and liked it even better left over for lunch the next day.
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 26 ounces jarred spaghetti sauce
- 1-2/3 cups water
- ¼ cup light zesty Italian dressing
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend, optional
- 8 lasagna noodles, broken into small pieces
- 1 cup shredded Reduced fat mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan or deep skillet, cook the ground beef over medium heat, breaking it up into crumbles, until browned. Drain off any excess fat. (There may not be any if you are using extra lean ground beef.)
- Stir in the green peppers, garlic, spaghetti sauce, water, dressing and Italian seasoning blend (if using). Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Add the noodle pieces and stir to combine. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the noodles are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and sprinkle with the cheese and cover again until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
- *Martha's Kitchen Notes: Next time try adding more chopped vegetables to increase the volume for 0 PointsPlus. Chopped mushrooms and zucchini would be good. (Add the mushrooms when you cook the ground beef.)
- *Suggestion: Add ½ cup reduced fat ricotta cheese into the noodle mixture before sprinkling with the mozzarella
*PointsPlus® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
If you liked this easy lightened up skillet lasagna, you might also like:
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.