WW Recipe of the Day: Sweet Potato Mash with Pumpkin Pie Spice and Chimayo Chile Powder
(150 calories | 5 5 0 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
Mashed sweet potatoes with pumpkin pie spice, chile powder and a little orange juice. Sweet, spicy and delicious.
They are my attempt to recreate the delicious mashed sweet potatoes that came on my husband's plate when out for dinner this week. I chose the restaurant - which specializes in Southwestern flavors - because I wanted to indulge in their terrific fish tacos, which were as great as ever.
But the stars of the show for me were the mashed sweet potatoes on Rod's plate - the perfect mix of sweet and slightly spicy.
The Skinny on Mashed Sweet Potatoes
I felt like I could recreate them by stirring in a little pumpkin pie spice and red chile powder (I used Chimayo chile powder from New Mexico, but if you don't have it, I think a pinch or two of cayenne would work).
My sister just a day or two earlier, had told me how much she loved to dust sweet potato oven fries with pumpkin pie spice - something I had never tried.
So, last night I decided to give them a try. I used Ellie Krieger's recipe for mashed sweet potatoes with orange essence from The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life and adapted it.
They were a yummy accompaniment to our turkey burgers and roasted brussels sprouts.
How Many Calories and Weight Watchers Points in Skinny Mashed Sweet Potatoes?
According to my calculations, each serving has about 150 calories and
5 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
5 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
0 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
4 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
Mashed Sweet Potato Recipe Notes & Variations:
According to the cooking sources I checked, it's better to steam sweet potatoes than boil them, to prevent them from becoming water logged.
Some other yummy seasonings for sweet potatoes, I want to experiment with include: orange zest, pineapple, candied ginger, bourbon, chopped toasted nuts, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, ginger, lime, maple syrup, honey, lemon.
If you've made these Pumpkin Pie Spice Mashed Sweet Potatoes, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Skinny Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Pumpkin Pie Spice and Chile
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon Chimayo chile powder, or to taste (Try a pinch or two of cayenne if you don't have red chile powder)
- Salt to taste
- In a steamer basket fitted over a large pot of boiling water, cook the sweet potatoes, covered, until they are tender when pierced with a knife, about 15 minutes.
- While the potatoes are steaming, in a small saucepan, warm the buttermilk gently over very low heat. (Don't let it boil because it will curdle.)
- Drain the potatoes and place them back in the pot. Add the warm buttermilk, orange juice, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, chile powder and salt and mash until smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
Source: The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life by Ellie Krieger
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More WW Friendly Sweet Potato Recipes
- Curried Sweet Potatoes with Green Peas
- Southwest Sweet Potato Salad
- Slow Cooked Ham with Sweet Potatoes
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Carrots and Sweet Potatoes
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!