WW Recipe of the Day: Southwestern Sweet Potato Salad
(128 calories | 4 4 1 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
Seasoned with the flavors of the Southwest - cumin, lime, and cilantro - this Southwestern Sweet Potato Salad is skinny, healthy, and colorful.
It's another recipe from 5 Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking: 500 Recipes for Lifelong Wellness , my go-to cookbook at the moment.
Choosing a sweet potato recipe for this week's 38 Power Foods Blog Group was a bit of a challenge, since there were so many wonderful options and I'm a huge sweet potato fan.
It's now week 12 of our challenge to make and write our way through the ingredients featured in Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients , by Martha Stewart and the editors of Whole Living Magazine.
Skinny on Southwestern Sweet Potato Salad
Low in calories and packed with both nutrients (beta-carotene and Vitamins B6, C and E) and fiber, sweet potatoes are a natural choice for Weight Watchers others wanting to lose weight.
We had this Skinny Southwestern Sweet Potato Salad for dinner tonight. I thought it was good, but not great.
Next time I'm going to try roasting the sweet potatoes, instead of boiling them, and I'll add a little honey (1-2 teaspoons) to the dressing.
According to my calculations each serving has 128 calories and:
4 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
4 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
1 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
3 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
If you've made this low calorie Southwestern Spiced Sweet Potato Salad, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Southwestern Sweet Potato Salad Recipe
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (2-3 large)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- ½ large red bell pepper, finely chopped
- ½ cup thinly sliced green onions
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
- Put the potatoes in a large pot and cover them with cold water. Set the pot over medium high heat and bring to a boil, then cook until tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and then let them cool completely.
- While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the cumin, salt, oil, lime juice and hot pepper sauce.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooled sweet potatoes, red bell pepper, green onions, and cilantro.
- Add the dressing and gently toss everything together until well blended.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and toss again gently.
Source: 5 Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking: 500 Recipes for Lifelong Wellness by Camilla Saulsbury
*PersonalPoints® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More WW Friendly Sweet Potato Recipes
- Sloppy Joe's Baked Sweet Potatoes (SkinnyTaste)
- Honey Roasted Sweet Potatoes (SlenderKitchen)
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Bacon and Parmesan (TheSkinnyishDish
- Balsamic Roasted Sweet Potatoes (LaaLoosh)
Other participating bloggers include:
- Alyce @ More Time at the Table
- Ansh @ Spice Roots
- Jeanette @ Jeanette's Healthy Living
- Jill @ Saucy Cooks
- Mireya @ My Healthy Eating Habits
- Sarah @ Everything in the Kitchen Sink
- Casey @ Bookcase Foodie
- Bambi @ Adobo Down Under
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!