Seasoned with the flavors of the Southwest – cumin, lime, and cilantro – this Southwestern Sweet Potato Salad is skinny, healthy, and colorful.
It’s another recipe from 5 Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking: 500 Recipes for Lifelong Wellness, my go-to cookbook at the moment.
Choosing a sweet potato recipe for this week’s 38 Power Foods Blog Group was a bit of a challenge, since there were so many wonderful options and I’m a huge sweet potato fan.
It’s now week 12 of our challenge to make and write our way through the ingredients featured in Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients, by Martha Stewart and the editors of Whole Living Magazine.
Other participating bloggers include: Alyce – More Time at the Table, Ansh – Spice Roots, Jeanette – Jeanette’s Healthy Living, Jill – Saucy Cooks, Mireya – My Healthy Eating Habits, Sarah – Everything in the Kitchen Sink, Casey – My Sweet & Savory, and Bambi – Adobo Down Under.
Skinny on Southwestern Sweet Potato Salad
Low in calories and packed with both nutrients (beta-carotene and Vitamins B6, C and E) and fiber, sweet potatoes are a natural choice for Weight Watchers others wanting to lose weight.
We had this Skinny Southwestern Sweet Potato Salad for dinner tonight. I thought it was good, but not great. Next time I’m going to try roasting the sweet potatoes instead of boiling them and I’ll add a little honey (1-2 teaspoons) to the dressing.
According to my calculations each serving has 128 calories and *3 Weight Watchers Points Plus.
Southwestern Sweet Potato Salad Recipe
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (2-3 large)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 large red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
- Put the potatoes in a large pot and cover them with cold water. Set the pot over medium high heat and bring to a boil, then cook until tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and then let them cool completely.
- While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the cumin, salt, oil, lime juice and hot pepper sauce.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooled sweet potatoes, red bell pepper, green onions, and cilantro.
- Add the dressing and gently toss everything together until well blended.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and toss again gently.
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!