I wouldn’t, but am glad the talented Camilla Saulsbury did for her cookbook, 5 Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking: 500 Recipes for Lifelong Wellness.
And I’m happy I found the recipe and tried it for this week’s 38 Power Foods Blogging Group. (For nine weeks now, a group of bloggers, led by Mireya of My Healthy Eating Habits, has been posting recipes using the healthy ingredients from Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients, by Martha Stewart and the editors of Whole Living Magazine.)
For A Limited Time:
Enjoy 25% off your meal plan subscription when you subscribe today!
Because of this group, I’m trying all kinds of recipes I probably wouldn’t otherwise, with surprising results: I never would have guessed in a million years that my midwestern born and raised meat and potatoes loving husband would have enjoyed these lentil, mushroom and kale burritos so much he would opt to eat them two nights in a row! But he did. Really.
So, what is this week’s power food? Mushrooms.
Health Benefits of Mushrooms
Did you know that mushrooms, considered among the most medicinal of all the earth’s natural substances, have been used to fight cancer and boost immunity in China and Japan for centuries?
They’re low in fat and a good source of protein, fiber, vitamin D, potassium, and B vitamins, including B12, which is good news for vegetarians. And it turns all mushrooms – wild, cultivated, Asian, fresh, and/or dried – have their respective strenghts. So be sure to eat a wide variety for the most benefits.
This lentil mushroom and kale burritos recipe was really quick and easy, especially if you use already cooked lentils. And surprisingly delicious. The recipe calls for canned lentils, but I used Trader Joe’s steamed lentils, which I love. And as Camilla explains, be sure to remove the virtually inedible stems and tough center ribs of the kale, before slicing it.
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large bunch of curly kale, tough stems and ribs removed, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 pound white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 cups drained canned lentils (Or other cooked lentils. I use Trader Joe's steamed lentils)
- ¾ cup salsa
- 4 whole wheat tortillas (10-inch), warmed
- ½ cup crumbled soft goat cheese
- In a large, deep skillet or pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the kale, mushrooms, and cumin. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale is wilted and mushrooms are browned, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the lentils and salsa and cook, stirring often, until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Spoon the lentil mixture down the middle of each warmed tortilla, leaving a 2-inch border on each side. Sprinkle evenly with the crumbled goat cheese.
- Roll up like burritos
*PointsPlus® for calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc
For more great delicious mushroom recipes, check out the blogs of these talented food-blogging ladies who are participating in the 38 Power Foodsgroup today:
Alyce More Time at the Table, Ansh – Spice Roots, Jeanette – Jeanette’s Healthy Living, Jill – Saucy Cooks, Mireya – My Healthy Eating Habits, Sarah – Everything in the Kitchen Sink, Casey – Bookcase Foodie, Bambi – Adobo Down Under
Links to more Weight Watchers Friendly Mushroom Recipes
- Lightened Up Slow Cooker Beef and Mushrooms
- Slim & Saucy Chicken Marsala
- Mushroom Risotto (Weight Watchers)
- Skinny Spinach and Bacon Stuffed Mushrooms (SkinnyTaste)
This post may contain Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.