Are you looking for a healthy version of chicken marsala that’s low in fat and high in flavor? If you like traditional chicken marsala, I think you’re going to love this slimmed down slim and saucy version. It’s simple, healthy and delicious! (But don’t tell anyone it’s better for them. Let it be your little secret and no one will be the wiser!)
I’m always on the lookout for tasty healthy ways to prepare boneless skinless chicken breasts – one of my favorite go to ingredients. And this healthy chicken marsala certainly fits the bill. It’s great when you want a gourmet style dinner that can be ready in 30 minutes or less. I’ve also got a yummy Slow Cooker Chicken Marsala that’s very popular if the CrockPot is more your speed.)
Easy Healthy Chicken Marsala Cooking Notes
As soon as I spotted it in my Weight Watchers Comfort Classics : 150 Favorite Home-Style Dishes cookbook, I thought it would be a winner. And I was right! But as with most recipes, I made a few changes based on the ingredients I had on hand.
We enjoyed this great easy healthy chicken marsala last night with skinny buttermilk mashed potatoes and sauteed spinach. Everyone loved it. According to my calculations each serving has 250 calories, and 4 SmartPoints. Enjoy!
Slim & Saucy Healthy Chicken Marsala
- 4 5 ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 16 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 large shallot finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup dry Marsala wine
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Pound the chicken breasts to an even 1/2-inch thickness and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, 1/4 teaspoon of the dried thyme and the pepper.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches if necessary, add the chicken (but don't overcrowd the pan) and cook until browned and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Remove from the pan and place on a plate.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil in the skillet. Add the mushrooms and remaining salt and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are slightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the shallots and cook, stirring often until the shallots start to soften, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and stir for another minute.
- Add the marsala and broth and cook until the sauce thickens a little, about 1 minute. Add the chicken back to the skillet and cook until heated through, about 2 more minutes.
Source: Adapted from Weight Watchers Comfort Classics : 150 Favorite Home-Style Dishes
*PointsPlus® for lighter healthier chicken marsala calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
If you liked this recipe for healthy chicken marsala, here are a few more of my favorite Weight Watchers friendly chicken recipes you might like:
If this is your first time visiting Simple Nourished Living – welcome! If you like what you have found, please join me on Facebook or follow me on Pinterest or sign up to have my recipes and posts delivered by email. I’m always sharing easy, practical ideas for living happy, healthy and slim.
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!