Weight Watchers SmartPoints Recipe of the Day: Slim & Saucy Chicken Marsala
Are you looking for a healthy version of chicken marsala that’s low in fat and high in flavor? If you like traditional chicken marsala, I think you’re going to love this slimmed down slim and saucy version. It’s simple, healthy and delicious! (But don’t tell anyone it’s better for them. Let it be your little secret and no one will be the wiser!)
I’m always on the lookout for tasty healthy ways to prepare boneless skinless chicken breasts – one of my favorite go to ingredients. And this healthy chicken marsala certainly fits the bill. It’s great when you want a gourmet style dinner that can be ready in 30 minutes or less. I’ve also got a yummy Slow Cooker Chicken Marsala that’s very popular if the CrockPot is more your speed.)
Skinny on Easy Healthy Chicken Marsala
As soon as I spotted it in my Weight Watchers Comfort Classics : 150 Favorite Home-Style Dishes cookbook, I thought it would be a winner. And I was right! But as with most recipes, I made a few changes based on the ingredients I had on hand.
We enjoyed this great easy healthy chicken marsala last night with skinny buttermilk mashed potatoes and sauteed spinach. Everyone loved it. According to my calculations each serving has 250 calories, and 4 SmartPoints. Enjoy!
- 4 (5 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 16 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup dry Marsala wine
- ½ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Pound the chicken breasts to an even ½-inch thickness and sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon of the salt, ¼ teaspoon of the dried thyme and the pepper.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches if necessary, add the chicken (but don't overcrowd the pan) and cook until browned and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Remove from the pan and place on a plate.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil in the skillet. Add the mushrooms and remaining salt and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are slightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the shallots and cook, stirring often until the shallots start to soften, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and stir for another minute.
- Add the marsala and broth and cook until the sauce thickens a little, about 1 minute. Add the chicken back to the skillet and cook until heated through, about 2 more minutes.
I used mushroom broth instead of chicken broth and thought it was delicious.
Although, this recipe is called "saucy" I would have liked even more sauce, so the next time I make it, I'm going to increase the marsala and broth to ¾ cups each. I'll also sprinkle it with a little fresh chopped parsley before serving.
Source: Adapted from Weight Watchers Comfort Classics : 150 Favorite Home-Style Dishes
*PointsPlus® for lighter healthier chicken marsala calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
If you liked this recipe for healthy chicken marsala, here are a few more of my favorite Weight Watchers friendly chicken recipes you might like:
If this is your first time visiting Simple Nourished Living – welcome! If you like what you have found, please join me on Facebook or follow me on Pinterest or sign up to have my recipes and posts delivered by email. I’m always sharing easy, practical ideas for living happy, healthy and slim.
For A Limited Time:
Enjoy 25% off your meal plan subscription when you subscribe today!
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.