WW Recipe of the Day: Slim & Saucy Chicken Marsala
Are you looking for a healthy version of chicken marsala that's low in fat and carbs but high in flavor?
If you like traditional chicken marsala, I think you're going to love this slimmed down slim and saucy version. It's simple, healthy and delicious! (But don't tell anyone it's better for them. Let it be your little secret and no one will be the wiser!)
I'm always on the lookout for tasty healthy ways to prepare boneless skinless chicken breasts - one of my favorite go-to ingredients. And this healthy chicken marsala certainly fits the bill.
It's great when you want a gourmet style dinner that can be ready in 30 minutes or less. I've also got a yummy Slow Cooker Chicken Marsala that's very popular if the CrockPot is more your speed.
As soon as I spotted it in my Weight Watchers Comfort Classics : 150 Favorite Home-Style Dishes cookbook, I thought it would be a winner. And I was right! But as with most recipes, I made a few changes based on the ingredients I had on hand.
I used mushroom broth instead of chicken broth and thought it was delicious.
Although, this recipe is called "saucy" I would have liked even more sauce, so the next time I make it, I'm going to increase the marsala and broth to ¾ cups each.
I'll also sprinkle it with a little fresh chopped parsley before serving.
We enjoyed this great easy healthy chicken marsala last night with skinny buttermilk mashed potatoes and sauteed spinach. Everyone loved it.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Chicken Mushroom Marsala?
According to my calculations each serving has just 250 calories and:
4 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
2 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
2 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
6 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
If you've made this low carb Chicken Marsala, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Slim & Saucy Healthy Chicken Marsala
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (5 ounces each)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 16 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup dry Marsala wine
- ½ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Pound the chicken breasts to an even ½-inch thickness and sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon of the salt, ¼ teaspoon of the dried thyme and the pepper.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches if necessary, add the chicken (but don't overcrowd the pan) and cook until browned and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Remove from the pan and place on a plate.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil in the skillet. Add the mushrooms and remaining salt and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are slightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the shallots and cook, stirring often until the shallots start to soften, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and stir for another minute.
- Add the marsala and broth and cook until the sauce thickens a little, about 1 minute. Add the chicken back to the skillet and cook until heated through, about 2 more minutes.
Source: Adapted from Weight Watchers Comfort Classics : 150 Favorite Home-Style Dishes
*PersonalPoints® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this lightened up recipe for healthy chicken marsala, here are a few more of my favorite Weight Watchers friendly chicken recipes you might also like:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!