Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Chicken Marsala
(235 calories | 5 3 3 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
Here’s a lightened-up version of the classic Italian-American chicken dish made in the slow cooker.
You just toss everything into the slow cooker and in four hours you’ve got an easy, healthy and delicious dinner ready and waiting.
Easy enough for a weeknight dinner, this slow cooker chicken marsala is impressive enough to serve to guests.
If you’re not convinced here’s a skinny chicken marsala recipe for the stovetop.
Skinny on Slow Cooker Chicken Marsala
The recipe called for marsala wine, but didn’t specify dry or sweet.
According to Betty Crocker you should use sweet marsala to prevent the dish from being too acidic.
Unfortunately, I read this after pouring in dry marsala. We both thought it was delicious anyway.
Cooking chicken breasts in the slow cooker can be tricky. They’re usually done in four hours or less.
If you overcook them they’ll be dry and stringy.
I substituted chicken tenders for the chicken breasts with good results.
How Many Calories and Weight Watchers Points in this Chicken Marsala?
According to my calculations, each serving has 235 calories and:
5 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
5 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
Update: A few commenters have stated that they found the flavor of the marsala wine overpowering and ended up throwing out the entire recipe.
This, of course, makes me feel terrible 🙁
We liked it, but then again, we like wine.
If you are concerned about the alcohol flavor being too strong, I would suggest cutting way back on it. Use a couple of tablespoons to 1/4 of a cup and substitute the rest with chicken broth.
Hope this helps.
If you’ve made this Low Fat Crock Pot Chicken Marsala, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Slow Cooker Chicken Marsala
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallot
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 5 ounces each)
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 3/4 cup Marsala wine (Note: The recipe didn't specify whether to use dry or sweet marsala. Betty Crocker suggests sweet marsala, but I inadvertently used dry. Several commenters have complained that the flavor of the wine was overpowering for them. If in doubt, I would use 1/2 cup chicken broth and 1/4 cup marsala instead.)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley, for garnish, optional
- Ideal slow cooker size: 4-Quart.
- Coat slow cooker insert with nonstick cooking spray. Combine the olive oil, shallot and garlic in bottom of slow cooker.
- In a shallow dish stir together the flour, salt and black pepper. Pound the chicken to an even thickness and coat it with the flour mixture and add to the slow cooker. Scatter mushrooms over chicken and add the Marsala.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours or until the chicken is tender.
- To thicken the sauce, turn the slow cooker up to HIGH. Combine the cornstarch with 2 teaspoons water and stir it into the chicken mixture. Cover and cook until the sauce has thickened 10 to 25 minutes.
- Stir in parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
Source: adapted from September 2014 Family Circle
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Easy Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes for Weight Watchers
- Slow Cooker Chicken & gravy (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Slow Cooker Moroccan Chicken & Olive Tagine (SkinnyTaste)
- Skinny Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Slow Cooker Crack Chicken (RecipeDiaries)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!