Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Waldorf Salad Made Lighter
(92 calories | *3 WW Freestyle SmartPoints)
Diced apples, celery, red grapes, and dried cranberries in a light and creamy yogurt-based mustard-enhanced dressing.
I think this healthy updated Waldorf salad recipe, from 5 Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking: 500 Recipes for Lifelong Wellness , by Camilla Saulsbury, (that I modified only a little) is a winner.
I wasn’t quite sure about the mustard in the dressing when I first tasted it, but by the time the salad had chilled for a couple of hours, giving the flavors a chance to meld, it was perfect.
Well, at least Rod and I thought so when we had it as part of our dinner last night. (He even went back for seconds.)
Skinny on Skinny Waldorf Salad
The recipe calls for 4 Granny Smith or other tart apples, but I only had 2 Granny Smiths and 2 Honey Crisps, so I used them instead. I liked the variation of slightly sweet and tart and think I would use two different kinds of apples again the next time I make it.
It also suggested serving the salad on a bed of endive with a sprinkling of roasted sunflower seeds. I didn’t have endive and completely forgot about the sunflower seeds.
When I had some of the leftovers for lunch today, I remembered to sprinkle a few sunflower seeds on top and liked the earthy crunch they added.
Classic Waldorf salad, which was first created in the 1890s, calls for a generous amount of mayonnaise, which adds a lot of fat and calories. I like the combination of mostly plain Greek yogurt and a little mayonnaise a lot better.
According to my calculations, each serving has just 92 calories, *2 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *3 WW Freestyle SmartPoints. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
Low Fat Waldorf Salad Recipe Variations
Skinny Cranberry Waldorf Salad:
Reduce the yogurt to 1/4 cup and mix it with 1/2 cup of whole-berry cranberry sauce. Omit the mustard and honey.
If you’ve made this lightened up low calorie Waldorf Salad, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Skinny Waldorf Salad Recipe
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
- 2 Honey Crisp apples, peeled and diced
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced celery
- 1-1/2 cups red seedless grapes, sliced in half
- 3 tablespoons dried cranberries or cherries, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons roasted sunflower seeds (optional)
- To make the dressing, in a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, mayonnaise, mustard and honey, until well blended.
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, celery, grapes and dried cranberries. Add the dressing and stir gently to coat the mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, until chilled, or for up to 2 hours.
- If desired, sprinkle with sunflower seeds before serving.
Source: 5 Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking: 500 Recipes for Lifelong Wellness by Camilla Saulsbury.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this Skinny Low Fat Waldorf Salad, you might also like:
- Healthy Chicken Salad with Apples and Dried Cranberries (Simple Nourished Living)
- Tuna Waldorf Salad – Classic Waldorf salad ingredients combined with tuna for an interesting taste twist (Weight Watchers)
- Kale Waldorf Salad – A variation of the classic Waldorf salad using kale instead of lettuce (Whole Foods)
- Waldorf Salad with Steel Cut Oats – from Mark Bittman for Cooking Light (My Recipes)
- Curried Waldorf Salad – with orange segments (Eating Well)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!