I am immensely enjoying Food Network Healthy Appetite host Ellie Krieger’s cookbook, The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life.
I couldn’t justify buying another cookbook given the size of my collection, but it called to me from the bookstore shelves and reeled me in with its more than 200 great sounding recipes.
Just like her show, The Food You Crave, is devoted to helping you make luscious recipes that are healthier.
I love her approach to cooking — real ingredients prepared simply enough for everyday, yet interesting enough for entertaining.
She proves that healthy food can be delicious–bursting with flavor, color, and aroma — and deeply satisfying.
Her positive approach to food, eating, and cooking relies on the concept of usually, sometimes, and rarely so no food is ever totally off limits.
It’s not what you eat once in a while that causes health concerns; it’s what you are doing most of the time that counts.
Food You Crave Healthy Eating Advice
It’s the advice that we are hearing everywhere:
- Focus on vegetables, fruits, whole grains, lean meats, fish, beans, nuts, healthy oils and lowfat dairy.
- Sometimes allow yourself the more refined foods like regular pasta, white flour and sugar, and red meat, used sparingly for flavor and interest.
- Rarely indulge in ingredients like heavy cream, butter, and full fat cheese, which when used sparingly can provide real flavor enhancement.
- Buy ingredients as close to their natural state as possible.
- Steer clear of foods that are full of artificial ingredients, chemicals and unpronounceable elements. “I’ll take a little bit of real whipped cream over chemical laden non-fat whipped topping any day.” I’ll second that, Ellie.
In addition to 200+ recipes, The Food You Crave has lots of helpful tips including suggestions for grab and go breakfasts and stocking a healthy pantry.
Some of the fabulous recipes from The Food You Crave that I can vouch for include:
- Peach French Toast Bake
- Pumpkin Pie Muffins
- Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- Chopped Salad Nicoise
- Chopped Salad with Lemon and Dill
- Cornmeal Crusted Ratatouille Tart
- Asian Style Three Bean Salad
- Pasta Puttanesca
- Maple Mustard Chicken Thighs
- Salmon Cakes with Ginger Sesame Sauce
- Chocolate Cherry Almond Biscotti
- Dark Chocolate Mousse
- Pumpkin Pie Flan
I’m beginning to salivate just typing the list. If you’re looking for a cookbook brimming with recipes for healthy delicious meals take a look at The Food You Crave the next time you are at the bookstore. It’s a keeper in my ever-expanding recipe and cookbook collection.
More Cookbook Reviews
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!