This deliciously spiced soup is both vegetarian and vegan-friendly, and also naturally dairy-free and gluten-free. Hearty enough to be a main course, this simplified version is based on a traditional soup from North Africa called Harira—often served when breaking the fast at Ramadan.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Soup?
According to my calculations, each serving has about 262 calories.
How to Make Chickpea Lentil Soup
Step 1: Gather and prepare all ingredients.
Step 2: In a large stock pot heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and stir to cook until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes.
Step 3: Stir in cumin and ginger.
Step 4: Add entire can of tomatoes, lentils and broth and stir to mix. Bring soup to a boil, then lower the heat and allow simmer.
Step 5: Add chickpeas and quinoa and stir to thoroughly combine. Continue simmering for about 30 minutes, until quinoa and lentils are cooked through.
Step 6: Turn off heat and stir in cilantro, parsley and lemon juice before serving.
Step 7: Store any leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Though each serving of this filling soup is already packed with fiber and protein, you can make this a complete meal-in-a-bowl by adding cooked shredded chicken breast.
This soup is based on a savory Moroccan soup, often made with lentils, chickpeas and fava beans and is traditionally cooked with lamb or lamb broth. This enlightened version can easily be made vegetarian by substituting low-sodium vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
The quinoa and lentils are likely to absorb broth in any leftovers. To reheat, simply add additional broth, or water, before reheating to achieve desired consistency—less for a heartier stew-like consistency, or more for a soup that is slightly more diluted. After reheating, add more lemon juice, if desired.
You can also divide this soup into single or double servings and freeze for quick future meals.
Serve with warm crusty bread and your favorite green salad for a vegetarian-friendly lunch or dinner.
Ways to Use Leftovers
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. If desired, feel free to add additional broth, or water, to make up for any liquid that was absorbed.
Add your favorite cooked chopped lean protein for an added nutritional boost.
If you've made this Fiber-Rich Chickpea Lentil Soup with Quinoa, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Chickpea Lentil Soup
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (or any neutral oil like canola, grapeseed, avocado, etc.)
- 1 cup chopped onions (I used frozen chopped onions)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger (if you don't have ginger, try allspice or nutmeg)
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed fire roasted tomatoes
- ⅔ cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ⅔ cup quinoa
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (or more to taste)
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large stock pot. Add onions and stir to cook until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cumin and ginger.
- Add canned tomatoes, lentils and broth and stir to mix. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer.
- Add chickpeas and quinoa and stir to thoroughly combine. Continue to simmer for about 30 minutes, until quinoa and lentils are cooked.
- Turn off heat and stir in cilantro, parsley and lemon juice before serving.
- Store any leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Recipe source: 5 Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking: 500 Recipes for Lifelong Wellness by Camilla V. Saulsbury
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this Protein-Packed Lentil Soup, you might also like
- Moroccan Vegetarian Crock Pot Stew
- Simply Delicious Asparagus Minestrone
- Easy Quinoa Pea Soup
- Italian-Style Crock Pot Bean Soup
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!