Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Smoked Salmon Potato Leek Soup
(187 calories | *4 WW SmartPoints)
I love smoked salmon and potato leek soup so I’m not sure why I never considered combining them until this recipe showed up in my inbox around Christmastime.
As soon as I saw it I knew I wanted to give it a go. I’m so glad I finally did.
The addition of smoked salmon elevates simple potato leek soup to a whole new level of deliciousness.
Skinny on Slow Cooker Smoked Salmon Potato Leek Soup
This recipe combines the delicate flavor of leeks and potatoes with the delicious richness of smoked salmon to make a hearty and nourishingsoup.
Leeks share many of the same health benefits of onions and garlic, but with a milder and sweeter taste.
If you’ve never worked with them before they can be a little sandy, so they need to be washed well.
This quick video shows you how to clean and cut leeks:
We really enjoyed this simple delicious salmon soup.
According to my calculations, each serving has 187 calories, *5 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *4 Weight Watchers SmartPoints and *4 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
For Weight Watchers looking to minimize their points, you can deduct one if you skip the milk.
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
Smoke Salmon Potato Leek Soup Recipe Variations
dairy-free: skip the milk or substitute your preferred dairy free milk alternative
heartier: add more smoked salmon
no smoked salmon: substitute another smoked fish, such as trout, or leftover cooked salmon
more veg:chopped celery and carrot would be nice
smokier: add a teaspoon of smoked paprika
richer: substitute cream or sour cream for the milk
If you like this potato leek soup with smoked salmon, be sure to check out my other easy Weight Watchers friendly recipes including Salmon Scrambled Eggs, Smoked Salmon Pinwheels, New England Fish Chowder Made Lighter, Shrimp & Corn Chowder and Slow Cooker Spicy Seafood Chowder
If you’ve made this Salmon Potato Leek Soup, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Slow Cooker Smoked Salmon Potato Leek Soup Recipe
- 4 cups leeks, chopped (2-3 large)
- 4 cups chopped potatoes
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces smoked salmon, sliced
- 1 cup milk
- Chopped fresh chives, dill or parsley for garnish (optional)
- Ideal slow cooker size: 5-Quart.
- Place the leeks, potatoes, garlic, broth, water, thyme, bay leaf, salt, pepper in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours, or on HIGH for 3 - 4 hours, or until the potatoes and leeks are tender.
- Remove the lid and partially blend using an immersion blender so that there are a few chunks of potato remaining. (Or mash with a potato masher or whizz in the blender if you prefer.)
- Stir in 3/4 of the smoked salmon and the milk. Serve in bowls and top with the remaining salmon and optional fresh herbs.
Source: adapted from Zen of Slow Cooking
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
This is how Martha Stewart makes Salmon and Leek Chowder:
Kitchen Tools Used to Make This Soup:
More Potato and Leek Soup + Chowder Recipes for Weight Watchers
- Cauliflower Potato Leek Soup (DrizzleMeSkinny)
- Spicy Potato Leek & Cauliflower Soup (Cookin’Canuck)
- Roasted Acorn Squash & Leek Soup with Pepitas (SkinnyTaste)
- Chicken Corn Chowder (EmilyBites)
- Light Salmon & Potato Chowder (Cookin’Canuck)
- Crock Pot Bacon & Potato Chowder (LaaLoosh)
Here’s another way to make Weight Watchers Friendly Vegan Potato Leek Soup:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!