Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Smoked Salmon Potato Leek Soup
I love smoked salmon and potato leek soup so I’m not sure why I never considered combining them until this recipe showed up in my inbox around Christmastime. As soon as I saw it I knew I wanted to give it a go. I’m so glad I finally did. The addition of smoked salmon elevates simple potato leek soup to a whole new level of deliciousness.
Skinny on Slow Cooker Smoked Salmon Potato Leek Soup
This recipe combines the delicate flavor of leeks and potatoes with the delicious richness of smoked salmon to make a hearty and nourishing soup. Leeks share many of the same health benefits of onions and garlic, but with a milder and sweeter taste. If you’ve never worked with them before they can be a little sandy, so they need to be washed well. I’ve got a video showing how to trim, cut and wash them here on my Skinny Potato Leek Soup post.
We really enjoyed this simple delicious soup. According to my calculations each serving has 187 calories, 5 PointsPlus and 4 SmartPoints. For Weight Watchers looking to minimize their SmartPoints you can deduct one if you skip the milk. I’ll be making this again for St. Patrick’s Day with a batch of yummy easy whole wheat Irish soda bread. Enjoy!
dairy free – skip the milk or substitute your preferred dairy free milk alternative
heartier – add more smoked salmon
no smoked salmon – substitute another smoked fish, such as trout, or leftover cooked salmon
more veg – chopped celery and carrot would be nice
smokier – add a teaspoon of smoked paprika
richer – substitue cream or sour cream for the milk
- 4 cups leeks, chopped (2 - 3 large)
- 4 cups chopped potatoes
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 dried bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces smoked salmon sliced
- 1 cup milk
- chopped fresh chives, dill or parsley for garnish (optional)
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 5-Quart
- Place the leeks, potatoes, garlic, broth, water, thyme, bay leaf, salt, pepper in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 3 - 4 hours, or until the potatoes and leeks are tender.
- Remove the lid and partially blend using an immersion blender so that there are a few chunks of potato remaining. (Or mash with a potato masher or whizz in the blender if you prefer.)
- Stir in ¾ of the smoked salmon and the milk. Serve in bowls and top with the remaining salmon and optional fresh herbs.
Source: adapted from Zen of Slow Cooking
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers zero points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.