WW Recipe of the Day – Slow Cooker Spicy Seafood Chowder
(185 calories | *2 WW Freestyle SmartPoints)
My crock pot cooking hiatus is officially over.
Since I stopped using my crock pot every day to make Weight Watchers friendly recipes we are not eating as well.
I’m spending a lot more time peering into the refrigerator and pantry wondering what to make for dinner.
And I don’t have a great stash of leftovers ready and waiting in the fridge for quick and easy lunches.
I think I need the kitchen cooking discipline that crock pot cooking requires.
Not to mention that it’s heating up here in Phoenix. (102F as I type this.) The last thing I want to do is heat up the kitchen by turning on the oven or stand outside over a fiery grill!
I feel better already. More in control.
Less stressed about the whole dinner dilemma.
And lunch was a breeze.
Today I’m sharing a great slow cooker spicy seafood chowder I made a while back.
Skinny on Slow Cooker Spicy Seafood Chowder
This low fat slow cooker spicy seafood chowder is amazingly rich, thick and creamy without a lick of cream.
Evaporated fat-free milk and instant potato flakes.
I used a combination of small cooked shrimp and Alaskan pollock fillets, but you could really use whatever seafood you like best.
If you don’t have cajun seasoning in you pantry, you can make your own. To make homemade cajun seasoning, just stir together:
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
According to my calculations each serving has 185 calories, *5 Weight Watchers PointsPlus and *5 Weight Watchers SmartPoints.
Under the new WW plan for 2018, this is now *2 WW Freestyle SmartPoints. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made this Spicy Seafood Chowder, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Slow Cooker Spicy Seafood Chowder Recipe
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 16 ounces frozen sweet white corn
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning, or to taste
- 1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup instant potato flakes
- 2 cups small cooked shrimp
- 6 ounces white fish fillets (I used Alaskan pollock)
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 4 Quart.
- In the slow cooker combine the onions, celery, bell pepper, corn, chicken broth and cajun seasoning.
- Cover and cook on LOW until the vegetables are tender, 4 to 6 hours.
- With an immersion blender, puree to desired consistency. (I like it with still some chunkiness.)
- Stir in the milk, instant potato flakes, shrimp and fish.
- Cover and cook on LOW until the fish is done and soup is heated through, another 30 minutes.
- Taste and add salt and pepper to taste
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like slow cooker spicy seafood chowder, you might also like:
- Slow Cooker Corn and Shrimp Chowder (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Slow Cooker Manhattan Clam Chowder (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Summer Corn Bacon Potato Chowder (Weight Watchers)
- Easy Crock Pot Corn Chowder (Simple-Nourished-Living)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!