Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day 190 – Slow Cooker Spicy Seafood Chowder
My crock pot cooking hiatus is officially over. Since I stopped using my crock pot every day to make Weight Watchers friendly recipes we are not eating as well.
I’m spending a lot more time peering into the refrigerator and pantry wondering what to make for dinner.
And I don’t have a great stash of leftovers ready and waiting in the fridge for quick and easy lunches.
I think I need the kitchen cooking discipline that crock pot cooking requires.
Not to mention that it’s heating up here in Phoenix. (102 as I type this.) The last thing I want to do is heat up the kitchen by turning on the oven or stand outside over a fiery grill!
I feel better already.
More in control.
Less stressed about the whole dinner dilemma.
And lunch was a breeze.
Today I’m sharing a great slow cooker spicy seafood chowder I made a while back.
Skinny on Slow Cooker Spicy Seafood Chowder
This slow cooker spicy seafood chowder is amazingly rich, thick and creamy without a lick of cream.
Evaporated fat-free milk and instant potato flakes.
I used a combination of small cooked shrimp and Alaskan pollock fillets, but you could really use whatever seafood you like best.
If you don’t have cajun seasoning in you pantry, you can make your own. I’ve included directions in the recipe’s cooking notes.
According to my calculations each serving has 185 calories, 5* Weight Watchers Points Plus and 5* WW SmartPoints.
(eCourse + eBook)
(eCourse + eBook)
- 1 cup chopped onions
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 16 ounces frozen sweet white corn
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning (or to taste)
- 1 can (12 ounces) fat free evaporated milk
- ½ cup instant potato flakes
- 2 cups small cooked shrimp
- 6 ounces white fish fillets (I used Alaskan pollock)
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 4 Quart
- In the slow cooker combine the onions, celery, bell pepper, corn, chicken broth and cajun seasoning.
- Cover and cook on LOW until the vegetables are tender, 4 to 6 hours.
- With an immersion blender, puree to desired consistency. (I like it with still some chunkiness.)
- Stir in the milk, instant potato flakes, shrimp and fish.
- Cover and cook on low until the fish is done and soup is heated through, another 30 minutes.
- Taste and add salt and pepper to taste
Cajun Seasoning: Stir together: 2 teaspoons garlic powder, 2 teaspoons sweet paprika, 2 teaspoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1 teaspoon thyme and ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional).
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like slow cooker spicy seafood chowder, you might also like:
- Slow Cooker Corn and Shrimp Chowder
- Slow Cooker Manhattan Clam Chowder
- Summer Corn Bacon Potato Chowder (Weight Watchers)
- Easy Crock Pot Corn Chowder
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.