WW Recipe of the Day: Skinny Slow Cooker Manhattan Clam Chowder
This Manhattan clam chowder is another first for me. I'm usually a New England chowder kinda girl.
I've eaten Manhattan clam chowder a few times in restaurants, but had never attempted making it myself. 'Til now.
Zesty and flavorful, this slow cooker Manhattan clam chowder was a pleasant surprise, especially considering how easy it was. Rod and I both loved it and mom sent me this email...
"I had your Manhattan last night for supper and it was wonderful. Ate every drop!!"
It's definitely a new favorite. I plan to keep a couple of cans of chopped clams and spicy V8 on hand so I'll be ready when I want it again.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Skinny Manhattan Clam Chowder?
According to my calculations each serving without the optional bacon has 106 calories and:
3 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
2 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
1 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
2 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Each serving with the optional bacon has 142 calories and:
4 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
2 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
4 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
If you've made this Crock Pot Manhattan Clam Chowder, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Slow Cooker Manhattan Clam Chowder Recipe
- 2 cans (6-½ ounces each) chopped clams
- 2 cups peeled waxy potatoes, such as red or yukon gold, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery with leaves
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 can (14-15 ounces) Italian-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1-½ cups spicy tomato or vegetable juice (I used spicy V-8)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 4 slices bacon, cooked until crisp, drained and crumbled, for serving (optional)
- Ideal slow cooker size: 3-½ to 4-Quart.
- Drain the clam liquid into the crock pot. Cover the clams and refrigerate until needed.
- Add the potatoes, onion, celery, green pepper, undrained tomatoes, tomato or vegetable juice, salt, thyme and bay leaf to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW 6 to 8 hours, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the chopped clams and turn the slow cooker to HIGH. Cover and cook until the clams are heated, about 5 minutes. Discard the bay leaf and stir in fresh parsley if using.
- Serve topped with crumbled bacon, if desired.
Source: Adapted from Crockery Cookbook (Better Homes and Gardens)
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like Manhattan clam chowder, you might also like:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!