WW Recipe of the Day: Skinny Slow Cooker Manhattan Clam Chowder
(106 calories | 3 2 1 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
This slow cooker Manhattan clam chowder is another first for me.
I’m usually a New England chowder kinda girl.
I’ve eaten Manhattan clam chowder a few times in restaurants, but had never attempted making it myself. ‘Til now.
Skinny on Slow Cooker Manhattan Clam Chowder
Zesty and flavorful, this slow cooker Manhattan clam chowder was a pleasant surprise, especially considering how easy it was. Rod and I both loved it and mom sent me this email…
“I had your Manhattan last night for supper and it was wonderful. Ate every drop!!”
It’s definitely a new favorite. I plan to keep a couple of cans of chopped clams and spicy V8 on hand so I’ll be ready when I want it again.
How Many Calories and Weight Watchers Points in this Skinny Slow Cooker Manhattan Clam Chowder?
According to my calculations each serving with the optional bacon has 106 calories and
3 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
2 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
1 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
2 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made this Crock Pot Manhattan Clam Chowder, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Slow Cooker Manhattan Clam Chowder Recipe
- 2 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) chopped clams
- 2 cups peeled waxy potatoes, such as red or yukon gold, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery with leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 can (14-15 ounces) Italian-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups spicy tomato or vegetable juice (I used spicy V-8)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 4 slices bacon, cooked until crisp, drained and crumbled, for serving (optional)
- Ideal slow cooker size: 3-1/2 to 4-Quart.
- Drain the clam liquid into the crock pot. Cover the clams and refrigerate until needed.
- Add the potatoes, onion, celery, green pepper, undrained tomatoes, tomato or vegetable juice, salt, thyme and bay leaf to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW 6 to 8 hours, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the chopped clams and turn the slow cooker to HIGH. Cover and cook until the clams are heated, about 5 minutes. Discard the bay leaf and stir in fresh parsley if using.
- Serve topped with crumbled bacon, if desired.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
Source: Adapted from Crockery Cookbook (Better Homes and Gardens)
If you like slow cooker Manhattan clam chowder, you might also like:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!