This recipe for Tuna Cheddar Chowder comes from Amy Dacyczyn, author of The Complete Tightwad Gazette: Promoting Thrift as a Viable Alternative Lifestyle , and one of the queens of simple easy cheap recipes.
As she explains in her book dedicated to frugal living, “tuna cheddar chowder” may not sound particularly tempting, but this is actually one of the best soups I know. It is delicious and has an appealing orange-gold color.”
Well, that description was enough for me to want to add it to my list of must try cheap soup recipes. It sounds perfect for those times when you need a simple easy dinner/supper and the cupboard is bare.
It’s made from basic pantry staples that most people always have on hand. And fits perfectly into that category of “emergency recipes,” made with ingredients that you always have on hand for times when you need a quick easy meal unexpectedly.
Even when it seems like there’s nothing in the house to eat, I usually have the ingredients this recipe calls for – carrots, onion, butter, flour, chicken broth, milk, tuna and cheddar cheese.
It’s that time of year when we are getting ready to leave Phoenix and head to Wisconsin for the summer, so I’m trying to limit the groceries I buy and use up what’s around. This tuna cheddar chowder recipe works perfectly in that plan so it will be showing up for supper here one night this week.
We had this easy chowder for supper Sunday night and it was a hit. I thought it was a little thick, if you feel the same you can always thin it out a bit with additional broth and/or milk until it’s the consistency that you prefer.
According to my calculations, each serving has about 306 calories, *8 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *9 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made this tuna cheddar chowder, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Tuna Cheddar Chowder Recipe
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 can (6.5 ounces) water-packed tuna, drained and flaked
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the butter in a large saucepan and melt it over medium heat.
- Add the carrots and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and transparent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the broth and milk. Heat, stirring constantly, until thick and bubbly.
- Add the tuna, celery seed, Worcestershire sauce and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
- Add the cheese and stir until it melts.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
More Quick Easy Soup Recipes
- Quick Soup Recipes – a collection of quick easy soup recipes, many with 5 ingredients or less, that can be made in 30 minuets or less
- Corn and Shrimp Chowder Recipe – a simple recipe for corn shrimp chowder for those who love both corn chowder and shrimp
- Favorite Shrimp Soup Recipes – a collection of recipes for shrimp soup in a variety of styles from spicy to mild
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!