Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Makeover Cheeseburger Soup
(209 calories | 6 6 5 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
Cheeseburger soup with all it’s rich, creamy satisfying goodness, is a family favorite that’s easy and delicious.
There’s only one problem: It’s full of fat and calories!
One recipe I looked at had 795 calories and 74 grams of fat!
Is it possible to make a cheeseburger soup that’s lighter and healthier and and still delicious?
I love magazine articles that focus on “making over” favorite high calorie recipes by making light and healthy switches.
This is what I did recently when my Mom, who is staying with us, said she had a craving for cheeseburger soup. I made a “Makeover Cheeseburger Soup” instead.
The Skinny on Makeover Cheeseburger Soup
I went on a recipe search and found two makeover cheeseburger soup recipes that looked good, took what I thought was the best from each, and made some additional healthy swaps.
I was able to cut the fat and calories a lot by using extra lean ground beef, non-fat milk and reduced fat Velveeta.
We had it for dinner the other night and everyone loved it! This lightened up cheeseburger soup is thick and creamy, with the consistency of a chowder.
Comfort food at it’s best!
With a few simple side dishes – like warm, crusty bread and a leafy green salad – it makes a satisfying supper.
According to my calculations, each serving has 209 calories and:
6 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
6 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
5 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
5 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
spicier: for a spicier soup, you can stir in 1/4 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper with the cheese
leaner: for a leaner soup, replace the extra lean ground beef with lean ground turkey
toppings: garnish with a little crispy crumbled turkey bacon or crushed tortilla chips, if desired
no potatoes: I think this soup would be good with 2 cups of cooked long-grain & wild rice instead of the potatoes
If you like this lightened up recipe for cheeseburger soup, be sure to check out my other Weight Watchers friendly soup recipes including Hearty Slow Cooker Hamburger Stew, Slow Cooker Lasagna Soup, Mom’s Lentil Sausage Stew, Ham & Potato Soup Made Lighter and Creamy Potato Mushroom Soup
Makeover Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
- 3 cups beef broth
- 4 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 jalapeño, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound extra lean ground beef, browned and drained
- 1-1/2 cups non-fat evaporated milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 pound reduced-fat pasteurized process cheese, cubed (I used reduced fat Velveeta)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- In a large saucepan set over medium, combine the broth, vegetables and salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in the ground beef and 1 cup of the evaporated milk.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour and remaining 1/2 cup evaporated milk until it's smooth, then gradually stir it into the soup.
- Bring to a simmer, cook and stir until thick and bubbly, 2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat, add the cheese and paprika and stir until melted.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
This video shows another way to make hearty slow cooker cheeseburger soup for Weight Watchers:
More Satisfying Soup Recipes Made Lighter
- Pressure Cooker Split Pea Soup with Ham (SkinnyTaste)
- Slow Cooker Chicken Fajita & Quinoa Soup (EatYourselfSkinny)
- Sausage & Tortellini Tomato Soup (EmilyBites)
- Sausage, White Bean & Spinach Soup (SlenderKitchen)
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup (SkinnyTaste)
- Creamy Potato & Cauliflower Cheesy Soup (DrizzleMeSkinny)
Here’s KatieOnTheFlipSide showing how she makes her own version of cheeseburger soup:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!