WW Recipe of the Day: Irish Cheddar Cheese Soup
(234 calories | *7 WW Freestyle SmartPoints)
Temperatures have begun to rise into the 80s here in Phoenix which means another soup season is quickly winding down.
So I took advantage of what remains of March to make this Saint Patrick Irish Cheddar Soup for St. Patrick’s Day.
Creamy and flavorful, I served it with smoked salmon and whole grain Irish soda bread for a light yet satisfying Sunday night supper.
The recipe for this Saint Patrick Irish Cheddar Soup is from Twelve Months of Monastery Soups by Brother Victor Antoine d’Avila-Latourrette, my favorite soup cookbook, filled with the kind of easy, delicious, nourishing recipes that I find a joy to make.
Arranged by month, it’s a seasonal celebration of the art of soup making.
I’ve been enjoying the leftovers this week for lunch.
The Skinny on St Patrick Irish Cheddar Soup
Each 1-1/4 cup serving has *7 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *9 WW Freestyle SmartPoints, if made with whole milk and full fat cheese. I’ve been experimenting with adding a bit more fat to my diet lately with really good results.
But if you prefer, you can use skim milk and reduced-fat cheese, which will decrease the PointsPlus value to *6, and Freestyle SmartPoints to *7. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made this Irish Cheddar Cheese Soup, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
St. Patrick Irish Cheddar Soup Recipe
- 2 leeks, whites and pale green only
- 2 potatoes
- 4 carrots
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups vegetable or meat stock (I used vegetable)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup milk
- 5 ounces grated Kerrygold Irish Cheddar cheese (or any mild cheddar)
- Clean, peel, and chop the vegetables.
- Melt the butter in a soup pot and saute the vegetables over medium heat for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the stock, garlic, herbs, and seasonings. Bring the soup to a boil, then cover the pot, lower the heat and let simmer gently until the vegetables are fork tender, about 30 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and then puree the soup in a blender, being careful to hold down the lid. Return the soup to the pot.
- Add the milk and cheese and heat on low, being sure that it does not come to a boil.
- Serve hot.
Recipe source: Twelve Months of Monastery Soups by Victor D’Avila-Latourrette
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Weight Watchers Friendly Soup Recipes
- Skinny Potato Leek Soup
- Sweet Potato Tomato Soup
- Easy Slow Cooker Potato Soup
- Silky Light Potato Soup
- Cream of Broccoli Cheese Soup
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!