WW Recipe of the Day: Irish Cheddar Cheese Soup
(234 calories | 8 7 5 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
Temperatures have begun to rise into the 80s here in Phoenix which means another soup season is quickly winding down.
So I took advantage of what remains of March to make this Saint Patrick Irish Cheddar Soup for St. Patrick’s Day.
Creamy and flavorful, I served it with smoked salmon and whole grain Irish soda bread for a light yet satisfying Sunday night supper.
The recipe for this Saint Patrick Irish Cheddar Soup is from Twelve Months of Monastery Soups by Brother Victor Antoine d’Avila-Latourrette, my favorite soup cookbook, filled with the kind of easy, delicious, nourishing recipes that I find a joy to make.
Arranged by month, it’s a seasonal celebration of the art of soup making.
I’ve been enjoying the leftovers this week for lunch.
The Skinny on St Patrick Irish Cheddar Soup
According to my calculations, when made with reduced-fat cheese and skim milk, each 1-1/4 cup serving has about 234 calories and:
8 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
7 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
5 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
6 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
I’ve been experimenting with adding a bit more fat to my diet lately with really good results. If made with whole milk and full fat cheese, each serving has about 273 calories and:
10 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
9 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
7 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
7 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made this Irish Cheddar Cheese Soup, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
St. Patrick Irish Cheddar Soup Recipe
- 2 leeks, whites and pale green only
- 2 potatoes
- 4 carrots
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups vegetable or meat stock (I used vegetable)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup milk
- 5 ounces grated Kerrygold Irish Cheddar cheese (or any mild cheddar)
- Clean, peel, and chop the vegetables.
- Melt the butter in a soup pot and saute the vegetables over medium heat for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the stock, garlic, herbs, and seasonings. Bring the soup to a boil, then cover the pot, lower the heat and let simmer gently until the vegetables are fork tender, about 30 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and then puree the soup in a blender, being careful to hold down the lid. Return the soup to the pot.
- Add the milk and cheese and heat on low, being sure that it does not come to a boil.
- Serve hot.
Recipe source: Twelve Months of Monastery Soups by Victor D’Avila-Latourrette
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Weight Watchers Friendly Soup Recipes
- Skinny Potato Leek Soup
- Sweet Potato Tomato Soup
- Easy Slow Cooker Potato Soup
- Silky Light Potato Soup
- Cream of Broccoli Cheese Soup
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!