Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers – 5 SmartPoints
Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day 192 – Sausage & Peppers in the Crock-Pot
I love sausage and peppers.
It’s a classic Italian American dish that’s been a favorite since I was a kid.
This is my first time making slow cooker sausage and peppers.
Unbelievably easy and delicious, it won’t be my last!
Skinny on Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers
Using Italian-style turkey sausage keeps this recipe light and healthy.
I used sweet Italian-style turkey sausage. But you could use hot or a combination of sweet and hot if you prefer.
And if you like your sausage and peppers spicy, add 1/2 teaspoon or so crushed red pepper flakes.
I served my slow cooker sausage and peppers for dinner over pasta with a big tossed green salad.
This would be delicious on its own, over polenta or in a hoagie/sub/grinder roll too.
According to my calculations each serving (including pasta) has 299 calories and 8* Weight Watchers Points Plus.
This has 5* SmartPoints with the pasta or 3* SmartPoints without.
(eCourse + eBook)
(eCourse + eBook)
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and sliced ½-inch thick
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced ½-inch thick
- 1 large onion, sliced into ¼-inch thick half moons
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1-1/2 pounds uncooked Italian-style turkey sausage, cut into 2-inch chunks (sweet, hot or a combination of both)
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ pound whole wheat pasta, cooked (for serving)
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional (for serving)
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 5- or 6-quart.
- Coat the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Add the tomatoes, bell peppers, onion, garlic and oregano. Stir well to combine.
- Add the sausage and stir again.
- Cover and cook on low until the vegetables are very tender, 6 to 8 hours on LOW or 3 to 4 hours on HIGH.
- Just before serving, stir in the balsamic vinegar and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve over pasta with grated Parmesan, if desired.
- Servings: 8
Optional additions: 1 tablespoon sugar to balance acidity of tomatoes, 1-2 tablespoons tomato paste if the crushed tomatoes seem really runny. For a spicier sauce add ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes.
Source: Slightly adapted from Weight Watchers Family Style Cookbook
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this slow cooker sausage and peppers, you might also like:
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup with Sausage
- Quick & Easy Italian Sausage and Peppers Recipes
- Skinny Pasta with Sausage, Peppers, Onions and Mushrooms
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.