WW Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers
I love sausage and peppers.
It's a classic Italian American dish that's been a favorite since I was a kid.
This is my first time making slow cooker sausage and peppers. Unbelievably easy and delicious, it won't be my last!
Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers Cooking Notes
- Using Italian-style turkey sausage keeps this recipe light and healthy. I used sweet Italian-style turkey sausage. But you could use hot or a combination of sweet and hot if you prefer.
- And if you like your sausage and peppers spicy, add ½ teaspoon or so crushed red pepper flakes.
- I served my slow cooker sausage and peppers for dinner over pasta with a big tossed green salad.
- This would be delicious on its own, over polenta or in a hoagie/sub/grinder roll too.
- Or to keep your points low while bumping up your veggie intake, serve over spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles.
How Many Calories & Weight Watchers Points in this Low Calorie Sausage with Peppers?
According to my calculations each serving (including pasta) has 299 calories and:
5 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
5 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
8 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
This has *3 (blue) myWW Freestyle SmartPoints without pasta. Enjoy!
To see your WW PersonalPoints for this recipe and track it in the WW app or site, Click here!
I also like to keep this dish low carb by serving it over zoodles...
Are You Ready To Slow Cook Yourself Slim?
If you've made this Crock Pot Sausage with Peppers, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Slow Cooker Sausage & Peppers Recipe
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and sliced ½-inch thick
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced ½-inch thick
- 1 large onion, sliced into ¼-inch thick half moons
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1-½ pounds uncooked Italian-style turkey sausage, cut into 2-inch chunks (sweet, hot or a combination of both)
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ pound whole wheat pasta, cooked (for serving)
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional (for serving)
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 5- or 6-quart.
- Coat the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add the tomatoes, bell peppers, onion, garlic and oregano. Stir well to combine.
- Add the sausage and stir again.
- Cover and cook on low until the vegetables are very tender, 6 to 8 hours on LOW or 3 to 4 hours on HIGH.
- Just before serving, stir in the balsamic vinegar and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve over pasta with grated Parmesan, if desired.
Source: Slightly adapted from Weight Watchers Family Style Cookbook (affiliate link)
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this slow cooker sausage and peppers, you might also like:
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup with Sausage
- Quick & Easy Italian Sausage & Peppers Recipes
- Skinny Pasta with Sausage, Peppers, Onions & Mushrooms
Search for More WW Friendly Slow Cooker Recipes
Martha is the founder and main content writer for Simple-Nourished-Living.
A longtime lifetime WW at goal, she is committed to balancing her love of food and desire to stay slim while savoring life and helping others do the same.
She is the author of the Smart Start 28-Day Weight Loss Challenge.
A huge fan of the slow cooker and confessed cookbook addict, when she's not experimenting in the kitchen, you're likely to find Martha on her yoga mat.
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!
Just a suggestion , rather than adding sugar to the tomatoes to cut the acidity add 2 whole baby carrots while cooking. Remove after cooking. This will decrease the acidity.
Great suggestion, Sandi. Thanks for sharing!!
Is there a specific brand of turkey sausage that you like?
Hi Sarah, no I'm not aligned with any particular brand. ~Martha
I would think you could use chicken sausage in the recipe, does it freeze well?
Hi Alene, yes you can use chicken or turkey sausage. I have never frozen it, but believe it would be fine. Hope this helps. ~Martha
I made this recipe this week. The flavors were awesome. However, I found the turkey sausage texture to be less than favorable. It seemed "grainy". Is there another alternative?
Thanks so much. I love your recipes.
Hi Mary, Not sure what to suggest. Maybe it was the kind of turkey sausage. Possibly cooking it less long? Hope this helps. ~Martha
Had some chicken sausage to use, so making this now. Can't wait for dinner. I've sampled it, and it's delish!