Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers – 5 SmartPoints
Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day 192 – Sausage & Peppers in the Crock-Pot
I love sausage and peppers.
It’s a classic Italian American dish that’s been a favorite since I was a kid.
This is my first time making slow cooker sausage and peppers.
Unbelievably easy and delicious, it won’t be my last!
SALE ends in...
Not sure its right for you?
No worries, that's why we've got a 30 day full happiness guarantee.
Skinny on Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers
Using Italian-style turkey sausage keeps this recipe light and healthy.
I used sweet Italian-style turkey sausage. But you could use hot or a combination of sweet and hot if you prefer.
And if you like your sausage and peppers spicy, add 1/2 teaspoon or so crushed red pepper flakes.
I served my slow cooker sausage and peppers for dinner over pasta with a big tossed green salad.
This would be delicious on its own, over polenta or in a hoagie/sub/grinder roll too.
According to my calculations each serving (including pasta) has 299 calories and 8* Weight Watchers Points Plus.
This has 5* SmartPoints with the pasta or 3* SmartPoints without.
(eCourse + eBook)
(eCourse + eBook)
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and sliced ½-inch thick
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced ½-inch thick
- 1 large onion, sliced into ¼-inch thick half moons
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1-1/2 pounds uncooked Italian-style turkey sausage, cut into 2-inch chunks (sweet, hot or a combination of both)
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ pound whole wheat pasta, cooked (for serving)
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional (for serving)
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 5- or 6-quart.
- Coat the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Add the tomatoes, bell peppers, onion, garlic and oregano. Stir well to combine.
- Add the sausage and stir again.
- Cover and cook on low until the vegetables are very tender, 6 to 8 hours on LOW or 3 to 4 hours on HIGH.
- Just before serving, stir in the balsamic vinegar and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve over pasta with grated Parmesan, if desired.
- Servings: 8
Optional additions: 1 tablespoon sugar to balance acidity of tomatoes, 1-2 tablespoons tomato paste if the crushed tomatoes seem really runny. For a spicier sauce add ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes.
Source: Slightly adapted from Weight Watchers Family Style Cookbook
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this slow cooker sausage and peppers, you might also like:
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup with Sausage
- Quick & Easy Italian Sausage and Peppers Recipes
- Skinny Pasta with Sausage, Peppers, Onions and Mushrooms
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.