Weight Watchers SmartPoints Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Sausage Spaghetti Sauce.
I’ve had a hankering for spaghetti for a while now. I had so much success making marinara sauce in the slow cooker, I decided to try it again, this time using sweet Italian chicken sausage from the freezer.
Skinny on Slow Cooker Sausage Spaghetti Sauce
This slow cooker sausage spaghetti sauce can be changed any number of ways. It’s really hard to make a bad pot of spaghetti sauce and mine rarely turns out the same way twice. Which is fine since I’m not cooking for a restaurant 🙂
This made a big batch – perfect for feeding a crowd or freezing in smaller portions for future quick and easy meals.
I shared this slow cooker sausage spaghetti sauce with Mom, my brother, and my neighbor, Pat. Everyone gave it hearty praise.
Can't Decide What To Cook After A Long Day?
Weekly Meal Plans + Shopping Lists = Healthier, Happier You!
Healthy Meal Planning Made Easy allows you to create custom healthy meal plans with WW SmartPoints that fit your family size, schedule, and most importantly taste delicious.
According to my calculations each serving of sauce 86 calories and 2* SmartPoints or 2* WW PointsPlus.
A combination of spaghetti and spaghetti squash is really satisfying too. Enjoy!
(eCourse + eBook)
(eCourse + eBook)
Sausage Spaghetti Sauce Variations
vegetarian/vegan – substitute chopped mushrooms for the sausage
different meats – use whatever ground meat you prefer or a combination
spicier – add more dried Italian spices (basil, oregano, marjoram, thyme) and pinch or two of crushed red pepper flakes
chunkier – substitute diced tomatoes for one of the can of crushed
more veg – add chopped mushroom, more bell pepper, chopped zucchini, etc.
- 2 pounds sweet Italian chicken sausage
- ½ cup chopped onion (optional)
- ½ bell pepper, chopped (optional)
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced (I used jarred)
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 5 to 6-Quart. (I used my Instant pot.)
- Cook the chicken sausage in a large skillet set over medium heat, until crumbled and slightly browned. Add the garlic, onion and bell pepper if using and cook, stirring often, 3 to 4 minutes or until the onion softens slightly.
- Scrape the sausage mixture into the slow cooker. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and seasonings. Stir to combine. (My crushed tomatoes were really thick, so I also added 1 cup of water.)
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
Servings: 11-1/2 cups
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
Related Weight Watchers Friendly Recipes:
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
Crock-Pot Cajun Pasta Sauce
Lightened Up Spaghetti with White Clam Sauce
Slow Cooker Pasta Fagioli
Easy Slow Cooker Meatballs and Sauce
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.