WW SmartPoints Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Sausage Spaghetti Sauce
I've had a hankering for spaghetti for a while now.
I had so much success making marinara sauce in the slow cooker, I decided to try it again, this time using sweet Italian chicken sausage from the freezer.
This slow cooker sausage spaghetti sauce can be changed any number of ways.
It's really hard to make a bad pot of spaghetti sauce and mine rarely turns out the same way twice.
Which is fine since I'm not cooking for a restaurant 🙂
This made a big batch - perfect for feeding a crowd or freezing in smaller portions for future quick and easy meals.
I shared this slow cooker spaghetti meat sauce with Mom, my brother, and my neighbor, Pat. Everyone gave it hearty praise.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Sausage Spaghetti Sauce?
According to my calculations, each serving of sauce has 86 calories and:
2 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
2 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
2 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
2 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
To see your WW PersonalPoints for this recipe and track it in the WW app or site, Click here!
I served mine the traditional way, with spaghetti, but you could of course, substitute any shape pasta, spaghetti squash or even zucchini noodles, if you're so inclined.
A combination of spaghetti + spaghetti squash is really satisfying too. Enjoy!
vegetarian/vegan - substitute chopped mushrooms for the sausage
different meats - use whatever ground meat you prefer or a combination
spicier - add more dried Italian spices (basil, oregano, marjoram, thyme) and pinch or two of crushed red pepper flakes
chunkier - substitute diced tomatoes for one of the can of crushed
more veg - add chopped mushroom, more bell pepper, chopped zucchini, etc.
If you like this skinny slow cooker (I used my InstantPot) spaghetti sauce with sausage, be sure to check out my other easy, healthy Weight Watchers friendly slow cooker recipes including Crock-Pot Cajun Pasta Sauce, Gluten-Free Pasta Alla Puttanesca, WW Slow Cooker Meatballs & Sauce, 5-Ingredient Chicken Parmesan Lasagna and Olive Garden Slow Cooker Pasta Fagioli Make-Over
Are You Ready To Slow Cook Yourself Slim?
If you've made this Crock Pot Spaghetti Sauce with Sausage, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Slow Cooker Sausage Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- 2 pounds sweet Italian Chicken sausage (Substitute turkey sausage if it's easier to find)
- ½ cup chopped onion (optional)
- ½ bell pepper, chopped (optional)
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced (I used jarred)
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Ideal slow cooker size: 5- to 6-Quart. (I used my InstantPot.)
- Cook the chicken sausage in a large skillet set over medium heat, until crumbled and slightly browned.
- Add the garlic, onion and bell pepper if using and cook, stirring often, 3 to 4 minutes or until the onion softens slightly.
- Scrape the sausage mixture into the slow cooker.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and seasonings. Stir to combine. (My crushed tomatoes were really thick, so I also added 1 cup of water.)
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
- vegetarian/vegan - substitute chopped mushrooms for the sausage
- different meats - use whatever ground meat you prefer or a combination
- spicier - add more dried Italian spices (basil, oregano, marjoram, thyme) and pinch or two of crushed red pepper flakes
- chunkier - substitute diced tomatoes for one of the can of crushed
- more veg - add chopped mushroom, more bell pepper, chopped zucchini, etc.
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Weight Watchers Friendly Italian Recipes
- Zucchini Noodles with Simple Bolognese Sauce (EatYourselfSkinny)
- Skinny Penne Alla Vodka Sauce (SkinnyKitchen)
- Italian Turkey Meatloaf Parmesan (OrganizeYourselfSkinny)
- Baby Pasta Shells with Asparagus & Marinara Sauce (SkinnyTaste)
- Tomato Basil Spaghetti Squash with Sausage (SlenderKitchen)
- Spaghetti Squash with meat Ragù (SkinnyTaste)
- Low-Carb Zucchini Lasagna (SlenderKitchen)
- Italian-Style Stuffed Red Peppers (DashingDish)
Here's another easy recipe for meat-lover's slow cooker spaghetti sauce from All Recipes that looks delicious. Though the SmartPoints are sure to be higher since it calls for both ground beef and Italian pork sausage, it provides a nice visual look at the steps involved in making meat-based spaghetti sauce in your slow cooker:
Discover More Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Recipes
Martha is the founder and main content writer for Simple-Nourished-Living.
A longtime lifetime WW at goal, she is committed to balancing her love of food and desire to stay slim while savoring life and helping others do the same.
She is the author of the Smart Start 28-Day Weight Loss Challenge.
A huge fan of the slow cooker and confessed cookbook addict, when she's not experimenting in the kitchen, you're likely to find Martha on her yoga mat.
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!
What do you mean by "Chicken Sausage from the freezer"? Can you tell me the name brand you use? I'm assuming it needs to be defrosted before you fry it up, correct?
You do know that the recipe on the video isn't the same one that's printed, right? I'm confused. Is the one on the video also 2 WW points?
Yes, it's a different recipe. Sorry for the confusion. I've added text to the post that says: Here’s another easy recipe for meat-lover’s slow cooker spaghetti sauce from All Recipes that looks delicious. Though the SmartPoints are sure to be higher since it calls for both ground beef and Italian pork sausage, it provides a nice visual look at the steps involved in making meat-based spaghetti sauce in your slow cooker. Enjoy!
Left over spaghetti sauce with added Italian seasoning make a wonderful pizza sauce. just add cheese and cook. Adding anything you might like.
I ran across a really good pizza crust recipe, but have misplaced it. When I find it I will forward it to you.it had low ww points.
Lauren, Did you find the pizza crust recipe? Could you please share?
I just got an Instant Pot, you said you made this in the instant pot, could you publish directions for that as well.
I cooked it in my Instant Pot but with the slow cooker settings not as a pressure cooker. - Martha
Where can I find chicken Italian sausage? A brand name might help too.
Thanks, I've been missing spaghetti in my diet
HI THERE, I AM TOTALLY AT A LOSS WITH THESE MEASURES OF 1.05 LBS. OR 0.52 TSP. OF A HERB. HOW DO I CALCULATE THESE OVER TO TSP. OR TBSP ETC. THANK YOU. LOVE YOUR HELP.
Hi Christa, The recipe card allows you to adjust servings up and down. When not set to the default number of servings, the ingredient amounts are shown in decimal percentages. Click the servings up/down until you see standard measurement amounts. Hope this helps. ~Martha
I'm looking for chicken sausage too. Please suggest where we can purchase or make our own? I've ground chicken breast before to make another recipe so could potentially make my own chicken sausage. Just use the seasonings you'd use for beef/pork Italian sausage?
Hi Susie, You could substitute turkey sausage if it's easier to find. Or make your own. If you google, "make your own Italian Chicken Sausage" lots of results come back from which to choose. ~Martha
This sauce is fantastic. Extremely flavorful and satisfying. I put it over spaghetti squash strands and had a fabulous lunch for 2 points. Yes, 2 points!!