Weight Watchers SmartPoints Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Sausage Spaghetti Sauce
I’ve had a hankering for spaghetti for a while now.
I had so much success making marinara sauce in the slow cooker, I decided to try it again, this time using sweet Italian chicken sausage from the freezer.
This slow cooker sausage spaghetti sauce can be changed any number of ways.
It’s really hard to make a bad pot of spaghetti sauce and mine rarely turns out the same way twice.
Which is fine since I’m not cooking for a restaurant 🙂
Skinny on Slow Cooker Sausage Spaghetti Sauce
This made a big batch – perfect for feeding a crowd or freezing in smaller portions for future quick and easy meals.
I shared this slow cooker spaghetti meat sauce with Mom, my brother, and my neighbor, Pat. Everyone gave it hearty praise.
According to my calculations, each serving of sauce has 86 calories and *2 Weight Watcher PointsPlus, *2 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
A combination of spaghetti + spaghetti squash is really satisfying too. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
Sausage Spaghetti Sauce Recipe Variations
vegetarian/vegan – substitute chopped mushrooms for the sausage
different meats – use whatever ground meat you prefer or a combination
spicier – add more dried Italian spices (basil, oregano, marjoram, thyme) and pinch or two of crushed red pepper flakes
chunkier – substitute diced tomatoes for one of the can of crushed
more veg – add chopped mushroom, more bell pepper, chopped zucchini, etc.
If you like this skinny slow cooker (I used my InstantPot) spaghetti sauce with sausage, be sure to check out my other easy, healthy Weight Watchers friendly slow cooker recipes including Crock-Pot Cajun Pasta Sauce, Gluten-Free Pasta Alla Puttanesca, WW Slow Cooker Meatballs & Sauce, 5-Ingredient Chicken Parmesan Lasagna and Olive Garden Slow Cooker Pasta Fagioli Make-Over
If you’ve made this sausage spaghetti sauce, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Slow Cooker Sausage Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- 2 pounds sweet Italian Chicken sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (optional)
- 1/2 bell pepper, chopped (optional)
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced (I used jarred)
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Ideal slow cooker size: 5- to 6-Quart. (I used my InstantPot.)
- Cook the chicken sausage in a large skillet set over medium heat, until crumbled and slightly browned.
- Add the garlic, onion and bell pepper if using and cook, stirring often, 3 to 4 minutes or until the onion softens slightly.
- Scrape the sausage mixture into the slow cooker.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and seasonings. Stir to combine. (My crushed tomatoes were really thick, so I also added 1 cup of water.)
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Weight Watchers Friendly Italian Recipes
- Zucchini Noodles with Simple Bolognese Sauce (EatYourselfSkinny)
- Skinny Penne Alla Vodka Sauce (SkinnyKitchen)
- Italian Turkey Meatloaf Parmesan (OrganizeYourselfSkinny)
- Baby Pasta Shells with Asparagus & Marinara Sauce (SkinnyTaste)
- Tomato Basil Spaghetti Squash with Sausage (SlenderKitchen)
- Spaghetti Squash with meat Ragù (SkinnyTaste)
- Low-Carb Zucchini Lasagna (SlenderKitchen)
- Italian-Style Stuffed Red Peppers (DashingDish)
Here’s another easy recipe for meat-lover’s slow cooker spaghetti sauce from All Recipes that looks delicious. Though the SmartPoints are sure to be higher since it calls for both ground beef and Italian pork sausage, it provides a nice visual look at the steps involved in making meat-based spaghetti sauce in your slow cooker:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!