Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Winter Borscht Soup
(220 calories | *3 WW Freestyle SmartPoints)
This borscht recipe caught my eye as I was scanning one of my favorite cookbooks of the moment, Simply in Season Recipes that celebrate fresh, local foods in the spirit of More-with-Less.
The Skinny on Winter Borscht Soup
Having never made or even tasted borscht before, I had no preconceived ideas about what ingredients it should contain.
Usually, this leads me to an exhaustive comparison of borscht soup recipes from various cookbooks and the internet as I attempt to deduce which one would be best (and lose several valuable hours in the process).
But as I continue to simplify my life, I decided to skip all that time and effort, trust that the recipe before me would be delicious and it was!
It’s not to say there are not lots of other delicious recipes for borscht out there or that I won’t try a different variation next time, but for today this was perfect with only *5 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *3 WW Freestyle SmartPoints per serving!
It makes 8 servings of winter borscht that is simple and satisfying on a cold day. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
If you enjoy this recipe for borscht, be sure to check out my other Weight Watchers friendly soup recipes including Shredded Cabbage Soup, Crock Pot Sweet & Sour Cabbage Soup, WW 0 Point Vegetable Soup, Crock Pot Cabbage Soup with Sausage and WW Friendly Cabbage Soup Recipes
If you’ve made this Winter Borscht, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it.
Winter Borscht Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 pound boneless beef or chicken cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 cups peeled and chopped potatoes
- 1/2 head cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup peeled chopped beets, beet stems or beet greens
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill or 2 tablespoons dried
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped chives (optional)
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
- Optional toppings: dollop of sour cream or non-fat Greek yogurt
- In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat until it begins to simmer. Add the beef and onion and cook until the meat has browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add the water, broth, potatoes, cabbage, beets, carrots, barley, bay leaves, dried dill (if using), salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil then cover and let simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add the beet greens and fresh dill, if using, and parsley. Simmer until greens have softened, another 10 minutes.
Source: Simply in Season
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If You Like This Winter Borscht Soup, You Might Also Like:
- Ina Garten’s Summer Borscht
- Favorite WW Cabbage Soup Recipes
- Martha Stewart’s Ukrainian Borscht
- Beet Borscht Recipe from Taste of Home
- Classic Borscht
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!